1774 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI I/O Error with Quantum DLT 8000 Tape on HP UX 11.0

Nellian Solaiappan
Frequent Advisor

SCSI I/O Error with Quantum DLT 8000 Tape on HP UX 11.0

Hi All
I have been repeatedly seeing backup failed on my Tape drive on a HP Unix 11.0 box for the past 4 days. I did see SCSI I/O Error and Media Failed errors and als, after every backup, the all led's on the tape drive start blinking including the one indicating the drive needs a cleanup. I have enclosed the syslog parts for further information.
I would appreciate if any one could tell me if this is the Drive itself or the lack of SCSI/LVM patches.

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Ingo Duschl
Frequent Advisor

Re: SCSI I/O Error with Quantum DLT 8000 Tape on HP UX 11.0

is it backingup at all?!?!had the same problem inside the tape the is a little platik stripe hanging on a hook which should pick up the tape when you insert it. this thing was off the hook and could not pick up the beginning of the tape when insert it have to open the clear plastik cover on the tape and put it back on hook good luck
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

When all the leds on the drive blink, it means that there is something wrong with the drive itself, and most probably you will need someone to get the tape out and check the leader, or you are going to have it replaced.
As mentioned in the log file you attached, did you execute the command and get more info about the SCSI error?

/opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 348848130 -r /storage/events/tapes/SCSI_tape/0_9_0_
0.0.0 -n 348848132 -a

Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi Nellian,
can you still eject the tape as normal, or does it get 'stuck' in the drive?
Does the tape make an odd noise when you load the tape?
If not, I would check the leads and terminators. Can you do a ioscan -fnC tape ?
Regards
Nellian Solaiappan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys. I found that the drive was bad.