Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1754136 Members
2786 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to monitor in and out of Cisco 2600 router.

Thiyagu_2
Frequent Advisor

How to monitor in and out of Cisco 2600 router.

Hi everybody,

In my office, we are having Cisco 2600 router connected to a switch and a hub and then to 25 systems.

Last 2 weeks, we face problem in accessing the internet. There is slow in accessing the internet.

so, I would like to monitor the incoming and outgoing packets through the router.

Could anyone tell me how to monitor the incoming and outgoing packets through the cisco 2600 router.

Thanks in advance
1 REPLY 1
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to monitor in and out of Cisco 2600 router.

The best way to monitor frames/packets in and out of a device is to use an inline sniffer (specialized piece of hardware). Since those are typically very expensive, that's probably not the best solution for you.

In your case, using a software monitoring tool (such as Ethereal) on a desktop/laptop is probably the best. However, you'll need to be a little bit creative in order to capture all router traffic.

You can then mirror the router's switch port to another switch port that the desktop/laptop with Ethereal is connected to. Since the switch is mirroring all traffic for the router's switch port to the Ethereal switch port, you should see all of the router's traffic.

Regards,
-sean