1755984 Members
4224 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IP Procurve 2400M Switch?

Edoardo Piazza
Occasional Contributor

IP Procurve 2400M Switch?

I bought a second hand Procurve 2400M Switch.
Some leds light up when I switch it on. I think it was configurate with a console cable, which I don't have and I haven't the console software for debian or windows neither.
Pressing the clear or reset botton doesn't change the state after the reboot.
My lan work on the 192.168.0.x net but seems not to find the switch.
How can I know the switch's IP address to configure it via ethernet?
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: IP Procurve 2400M Switch?

There is no IP address set by default, if one has already been set then you should factory reset the switch, which will then try and get an address by DHCP. You can then look up the switches mac-address (should be on the front of it) on your DHCP server and find the IP address that way.

To execute the factory default reset, perform these steps:
1. Using pointed objects, simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear
buttons on the front of the switch.
2. Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3. When the Self Test LED begins to flash, release the Clear button.
The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with the
configuration restored to the factory default settings.
Edoardo Piazza
Occasional Contributor

We are moving forward!
Now the memory is erased and DHCP table shows me the switch is on the same network with an IP lease of 60 seconds.
The first ethernet's plug led is on and if I ping it, the second led flash, but I get an "unreacheable" message. By inserting the DHCP IP in a browser the switch isn't reacheable neither.
I can reach without prolem the other IP on my lan (both statics and dynamic).
Next step to configure the switch?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

After a factory reset and the switch has recieved an IP address via DHCP, that's all that should be required. You should be able to ping it, telnet to it and go to the web interface if it has received the correct IP address details (60 second lease sounds a bit short?).

If you're still not having any luck, I would try the factory reset again and this this time I would connect it directly to a PC that already has a static IP. On that PC I would run TFTPd32 (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/philippe.jounin/download/tftpd32.284.zip) which includes a free DHCP server. You can then be sure of what IP address the switch is recieving. Once into the switch you can then configure a static IP.

Be careful not to run the DHCP part of TFTPd32 on your production network.