cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L3 routing in gbe2c

Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

L3 routing in gbe2c

Hi all, can anybody pls explain me why, in a gbe2c switch (the "plain" model, NOT the "l2/l3" model) it is possible to create IP interfaces on different vlans, but it's not possible to activate ip forwarding/ routing on them? I'd like to put up a vlan and use one of those interfaces as default gateway, but how? I must be missing something otherwise why would it allow interface creation if they can't be used?

Thank you for any help
4 REPLIES
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: L3 routing in gbe2c

Hello,

I think this is for management purposes. With IP interfaces in different vlans you will be able to manage the switch from different vlans.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patrick, thanks for your reply. That makes sense,nevertheless do you think it's possible to put up a simple IP forwarding mechanism in those interfaces? E.g. using a static ARP table, or adding a default gateway? I'm insisting on this because being able to do so would solve a big problem for me. I hope I'll be able to make it without having to buy a L2/L3 model. Unfortunately I have been recommended to buy the base model, and now I have those switches lacking a functionality that I need, and I'm struggling to put up at least a workaround...
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

this won't work. The switch can't do layer 3 routing, regardless of a static arp table etc.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. I was hoping that at least for a few vlans I'd have been able to work around the problem, e.g. adding a default gw in the same range of addresses as the IPs in that vlan, but it seems that I have to make up my mind and rely on additional external hardware to do the routing.