2425 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem in switch HP BLc GbE2c LY 2/3 Switch

Charanjit Singh
Occasional Contributor

Problem in switch HP BLc GbE2c LY 2/3 Switch

Hi

I have two installed HP BLc GbE2c LY 2/3 Switch in my HP c7000 Blade encloser, I have Server Blade Proliant Bl460c G6 Os installed in it RHEL 5.3 32 bit.

Now issue is my embeded NICs eth0 and eth1 are not able to communicate to my external network if these mentioned switches installed in c- class interconnect Bay 1 and 2 however it shows in OA portmapping option that eth0 and eth1 are connected to my these switches and if I installed these switches in interconnect bay 5 and 6 then my eth0 and eth1 start communicated and then I checked in OA portmapping it shows eth0 and eth1 are not connected, please tell me why it is happening I cannot leave my switch connect in bay 5 and 6 since in future i will require more 2 switches for eth2 and eth3 network and I will require this space.
Thanks & Regards
CJ
4 REPLIES 4
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

The physical mapping between blade-interfaces and bay's is fixed.
look at the attachment.
bays 5/6 are used for aditional mezzanine cards, bay1/2 for integrated NIC's.

You encounter the situation that NIC numbering in the OS does not match the numbering in OA.
so RHEL-eth0 is not the same as OA-eth0.

The OS detects nic'sbased on bus/slot etc.
and numbers them accordingly.

You should have other NIC's in RHEL that correspond to OA-eth0 and 1.

Charanjit Singh
Occasional Contributor

So what is the resloution since I have only 2 switches right now. Because donot want to use interconnect bay 5 and 6

Thanks & regards
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>> i will require more 2 switches for eth2 and eth3 network and I will require this space.
<<<

=> as already said in previous post:
Verify that in your setup with RHEL eth0/1 refers to a mezzanine card that by design of the C7000 enclusure connects to bay5/6.

And eth2/3 will be the onboard NICs that by design of the C7000 enclosure connects to bay1/2!

You cannot change te C7000 enclusure, so you can only try to rename the NIC's in RHEL if you want this differently.

like describer here
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/how-to-Rename-a-NIC-in-rhel-3-4-5/m-p/4029154#M29032

You could also try to remove the mezzanine card and reinstall RHEL with only the onboard NIC's present, so these will be named eth0/1.
And add the mezzanine card later so these NICs will be named eth2/3.

Charanjit Singh
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I have renamed the eth0 to eth2 and eth1 to eth3 and did with eth2 and eth3 vice versa of ifcfg-eth* files in linux and in ifcfg-eth* configuration files I changed the MAC addresses with their respective ethernet cards, I rebooted it and it solved my problem . Thanks for solution.

Apologies for delay responce.

Regards
CJ