4826 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve 2610-PWR stops delivering POE

Raymon van der Meijden
Occasional Advisor

Procurve 2610-PWR stops delivering POE

Hi,

I have several Procurve 2610-24-PWR-24 switches for a year now. In the past i have had the issue that on connecting a APC PDU to the network the switch reboots. This issue is solved by upgrading to Software revision R.11.30

So several weeks no problem but since this week i have had 3 of the 6 switches stopping with delivering POE to the Cisco 7960 phones. After a reboot everything is fine.

Does anyone knows a solution or do i need ti switch to another brand ? (cisco)

ProCurve J9087A Switch 2610-24-PWR

18 REPLIES 18
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Re: Procurve 2610-PWR stops delivering POE

Can you post the "show tech all" output from the switch while the phones are connected and mention which ports.

and is it the poe issue only or connectivity issue, try to connect normal device to these ports and check if you get connectivity.
Raymon van der Meijden
Occasional Advisor

The only thing that stops working is the poe. My notebook was connected behind a Cisco 7960 phone, and doring the power i pluged in the cable from the switch directly into my laptop and connectivitie was fine (THis way i rebooted the switch using telnet)

ARC Technologies

We appear to have had the same thing happen to us this morning.

We have two J9087A switches (ProCurve 2610-24-PWR), both running firmware R.11.30. Both in the same closet. The first uplinks to another closet, the second is daisy-chained off the first one. The first one is maybe a year old, the second one is a few months old. The first has been running fine since we deployed it maybe six months ago, until today. The second switch has been trouble-free. Both are on the same APC Smart-UPS.

This morning, the first switch spontaneously stopped providing power. It would still pass network traffic to devices that didn't need PoE, including to the second J9087A and to the other closet.

Our PoE devices are mostly Nortel IP 2001 and IP 2004 phones, but we also have one 3Com Intellijack NJ2000, and all devices on that switch went dead. Powered devices on the second switch were fine.

"show power-management" said 0 W used out of 406 W available. Details on each port showed "Searching".

We tried disabling and then re-enabling power for all ports; didn't help. We rebooted the switch with the "boot" command and that seemed to clear the trouble. Now it says 43 W used.

Examining "show logging -a", all was quiet until 8:50:55 AM this morning, when suddenly (what appears to be) every PoE port logged "PD Removed", quickly followed by "is now off-line", all within a second or two.

It appears all those PoE ports then started flapping the link state, with "is now on-line" and "is now off-line" repeating. No "PD Detected" events, though. During all this, some "Excessive CRC/alignment errors" warnings are also logged for the effected ports. This continues until the reboot.

After the reboot, during startup, we see "PD Detected" and "Applying Power to PD" for all PoE ports, as expected.

I have a "show tech all" log which I will try to attach.

Anyone got any ideas? It seems to be "fixed" now, but I'm worried it will happen again.
If you think it costs a lot to do it right, just wait until you find out how much it costs to do it wrong.
Raymon van der Meijden
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I think you need to contact HP Procurve support to ask for a new firmware

DaFresh
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

We have same things here with 5 of our Procurve 2610 24 PWR / R.11.30, wich are located on multiples sites.

When we add POE devices (here Polycom Kirk 600v3 Wireless Server, very low power consumption devices), the switch sometimes stop sending power, even (sometimes again) after switch reboot/reload (we used command line 'boot' or 'reload').

It only appends when the 2nd or 3rd device is plugged on, never with the first.

We have to unplug / plug the device one by one to reactivate the POE on these ports. We have max 5 POE devices per switch.

We really think this problem is coming from the switch itself, the fact is we know peoples using the same POE device (Polycom Kirk 600v3) on Cisco or Dlink switch, and add no problem.

This device are critical for us (used for voip ...), does we need to 'switch' to an other brand or wait for a fw update that solve the problem ?

If it can help i can send a "show tech all" of the concerned Procurve, but i think our configuration is very basic.

@Raymon : do you have found any solution or explication ? (settings ect ...)

ARC Technologies

We ended up contacting ProCurve tech support. Sent them a "show tech all" log. They said they couldn't find a cause in the log, and that no upcoming firmware addressed any issue like this, so they offered to overnight us a new switch. Which we did. So far, no trouble, but it's only happened once anyway, so who knows?

I would suggest contacting tech support. You may want to mention this discussion thread to them; it sounds like there's some kind of relatively uncommon but still recurring defect here.
If you think it costs a lot to do it right, just wait until you find out how much it costs to do it wrong.
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Will testing the device on Cisco and Dlink is not the same, but on the other hand 2610 has some PoE issues, i would recommend openning a support ticket with procurve and check.
Raymon van der Meijden
Occasional Advisor

I think you just need to install the new firmware, i didnt have any trouble yet and am currently using 7 Procurve 2610-24-PWR-24 switches.

Im using 11.48 but i`m unable to attach the firmware due to size limit.

DaFresh
Occasional Advisor

Thx for reply,

I've just contact them, and the story is very different ... hopefully !

The POE problem is apparently known, they send me a new firmware (R_11_51) for test, not yet release on the web site.

I dont know if this release R_11_51 is stable/reliable for production, so i will only push it on our unused 2610 and Kirk 600v3 devices.

I will send a feed back in a few day.