4390 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve Manager + Problems

Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Procurve Manager + Problems

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, But i am having loads of trouble with PCM+.

Just lately it has started to perform really badly. The CPU is constantly at 100% with the culprits being javaw.exe, which consumes about 50% and trafficd.exe which also consumes about 50% of the processor.

Has anyone come accross this before? It just started happening, i have made no changes to the server.

It is a good spec machine, 2x 2.4Ghz Xeon's, and 1GB RAM.

Any idea's would be much apprerciated

Cheers

Jonathan
Where there is a will there is a way...
5 REPLIES 5
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Procurve Manager + Problems

What version, 1.5 or 1.6?
What if any patches did you install?
What version of JRE?

I am running 1.6 on a fully patched XP/SP2 with the PCM "A" patch on a single 2.8 ghz CPU with 2 gig of RAM. PF Usage reports 750 MB.
My JRE is 1.4.2_03-b02.
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The box is running Windows 2003 Server SP1.

Java version 5.0 Update 2. (v1.4.2_07)

When i start the application up, there are three instances of Javaw.exe running in the task manager.

Procurve manager version B.01.607A

Thinking of re-installing it to see if it makes any difference.

Hector Manzo
HPE Pro

Hi Jonathan,

Do you know how many devices are managed and how many of these managed devices have you added to traffic manager?

If traffic manager is collecting data, do you have stats or sampler selected in the Traffice Device Configuration window?

You mentioned you have three instances of javaw.exe running when you start up the application. Do you mean, when you startup the PCM client? If you shutdown the client and stop all of the PCM services do you have any javaw.exe processes still running?

The services you need to shutdown all start with HP ProCurve and they are, Datastore, Network Manager Server, and Traffic Launch Service.

As soon as you shutdown the client and the PCM services what does the cpu utilization go to? What was the memory utilization before and after stopping PCM client and services?

Does the problem persist after restarting the PCM service or afer starting the client GUI?

Could you try just stopping HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Service and see if the CPU stays high?

Thanks,

Hector
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Also note that PCM utilizes its own JRE and is not dependant on your system Java version.

I experienced this problem with trafficd in the past, what I did was restart the traffic monitoring service (which if I recall was some strange name like typhoon or something)

Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

HP have agreed to send me a copy of HP Procurve manager plus 2 for nothing! So gonna start again with this one and see how we get on.

Cheers for your help.