1753263 Members
5075 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve Stack

Menil

Procurve Stack

Hi,
i have some procurve 2810, in a "stack" configuration.
However, only the commander has the good time with sntp, and only the commander is using the syslog.
How can i do, to have correct time with sntp on the other member of the stack, and how can i do for the other members use the syslog server?

Regards.
11 REPLIES 11

you have done configure all switches?

commander dose not copy any config, only the password
Menil

Hi,
thanks for your response.
All the member of the stack are correctly configured, with the following command:
sntp server xx.xx.xx.xx
timesync sntp
sntp unicast
sntp 300
logging facility local1
logging xx.xx.xx.xx

However, all the logs are local to the switch, they are not deported.
All the member are not to the right time:
CA-A-2# show time
Sun Mar 4 21:22:47 1990

I don't understand, how the memeber of the stakc can have the right time with sntp without an ip, The same question for the log.

Maybe, i'm wrong with my configuration?
Is ther any solution?

Regards.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

ntp does not sync time if the difference between current time and time-server is too large (default 1 hour).
timezone must be taken into account.
so compare time in UTC format at both ends.

You must manually set time within some limits of the time source.
After that ntp can sync, or when still large difference exists, slowly adjust time until synced.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>> I don't understand, how the memeber of the stakc can have the right time with sntp without an ip, The same question for the log. <<<

See Advanced Trafic Management guide:
All switches in a particular stack must be in the same IP subnet (broadcast domain). A stack cannot cross a router.

that is : each switch DO needs it's own ip-adress to communicate with the commander.

only thing is, for management you do not need to know all separate adresses, but only access the commander switch to manage all stack members.

See Advanced Trafic Management guide:
The Commander switch serves as the in-band entry point for access to the Member switches. For example, the Commander├в s IP address becomes the path to all stack Members and the Commander├в s Manager password controls access to all stack Members.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

correction of my last post
>>>that is : each switch DO needs it's own ip-adress to communicate with the commander.
<<<
There are other networking protocols that are not tcp/ip-based.
those do not need an ip-adress to communicate, but may need only the MAC-adress to communicate.

>>> All switches in a particular stack must be in the same IP subnet (broadcast domain). A stack cannot cross a router.<<
is neccessary just because a non-tcp/ip protocol is used, so a router cannot route stack-traffic to another subnet/broadcast-domain.
Menil

Hi,

Only the commander has an ip in the management vlan.

I do not have to set time manually to each member of the stack. Sntp exist for that.
I want too, that all the member send her logs to my syslog server.

If i understand, i must affect an ip to each switch, int he management vlan, to have sntp access and syslog server access?

But if i read good the documentation, it says, that only the commander must have an ip.

Im' a bit confused.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

for management purposes, only the stack-commander needs an ip-adres for incomming connections.

For opertional task from a member switch, that switch needs its own ip-adres for outgoing connections such as sntp or syslog.

>>> Stacking is an optional feature (enabled in the default configuration) and can easily be disabled. Stacking has no effect on the normal operation of the switch in your network.<<<
Menil

Hi,

i administer the commander in the management-vlan.
Only the management-vlan can access the syslog and the ntp server.

So, you say that the member of the stack can access my server?

So bad.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I thought I was clear.

Each member switch needs it's own ip-adress in the management vlan.
Then it can access (on ip-level) your syslogserver and ntp server.
It does NOT use the command-switch for this.