2954 Online
108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software shutdown

Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Software shutdown

Dear Everyone,

I was using MS Win ME and when I shutdown the PC will switch off at the end of shutdown but when I upgrade it to Win 2000 this feature is not available. Can any one help me to program a complete shutdown so that I do not have to physically switch off the PC? Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Danny Khong
Emptiness
5 REPLIES 5
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Danny,
You posted to the wrong forum. This one is for networking but to answer your question, you have the wrong HAL installed. Depending on the APM capability of the mobo, you need one of the HALs that match the mobo. Put in the wrong HAL and the PC becomes a doorstop so make sure you have a full backup before you play with it.

Try Googling for advice.
Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Dear Les,

I do not know why there a red star appears as I am not an expert at all. Thank you for replying even though I am on the wrong forum.

Regards,
Danny Khong
Emptiness
Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Dear Les,

Sorry I cannot find much help googling as none mention about the shutdown and then turn off the PC. Only on power management. Can you give me more advice. Thank you.

Regards,
Danny Khong
Emptiness
HRE
Valued Contributor

Hi Danny,

check the Device Manager about this item (attachement). It has to be APM or ACPI.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
3. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Regards

HRE
Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Dear HRE,

Yes I got to Device manager and then into system devices. Listed ACPI generic bus and ACPI system button. That's all. No info on doing a turning the PC off upon shutdown. What should I do? Pleae advise. Thank you.

Regardss
Danny Khong
Emptiness