1757110 Members
1828 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tunk between Proliant and Procurve

CCO

Tunk between Proliant and Procurve

Hi,

I have a Prosurve 5308xl (software E.11.21) and a Proliant DL380G6 (windows 2008 r2 sp1), both builtin server network cards are plugged to gibabit port of the switch.

I would like to use the 2 links as a single 2 Gb/s interface. I put both port of the switch in an lacp trunk, I used the server NCU to team the cards : when i choose LACP on server it's only show me a 1Gb link, when i choose SLB it show me a 2 Gb but it load balance at 1Gb max only.

Anyone knows what to do on either switch and server to reach the 2 Gb ?

Regards
10 REPLIES 10
BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi
two years ago, I have detected this when I try to optimize a backup server.
for the input traffic on a 2Gb/s team on the server : if the traffic comes from 1 server, it use 1 card end is limited to 1Gb/s, if the traffic come from 2 servers or more, the traffic use the to cards. for the output traffic, I use Round Robin load balancing.
It's strange, if I use 2 servers with a 2Gb/s team and a Round Robin load balancing the traffic comes from the server to the switch using 2 cards and from the switch to the destination server using only one card.

I don't know to avoid this

Pascal
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Hi what is your switch configuration?

On the server side, you should set it to use LACP. On the switch side the ports should be set to LACP passive.
Tore
CCO

I can t set the LACP passive on the ports : "#int A13 / #lacp passive" => "Operation is not allowed for a trunked port".
On the server "Team type selection" => "Automatic", if I choose "802.3ad Dynamic with fault tolerance" (wich i suppose to be LACP) it only show me a 1Gb team.

Since i control both sides, i'm just looking for the right set of configuration to apply.
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

I Understand. You need to remove the trunk, and set it to LACP passive instead.

Then the server will act as the active side, and set up the dynamic LACP trunk.

Or you could configure the static trunk as LACP.
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

Ohh, i need to clarify 1 thing.

With 1 connection or 1 transfer, the speed can never exceed the speed of 1 NIC/PORT.

Only when several connection goes over the trunk/link aggregation will it ditribute over the NICs/ports.

So 1 single transfer will only achieve 1 gb/s while several independent transfers can together exceed 1gb/s
CCO

I got a backup software running wich use "almost" 1 Gb, then i add multiple FTP uploads from different client (each at 1Gb) to overflox the link
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

I would try to set the Proliant Teaming utility to 802.3ad Dynamic, and leave the switch ports to LACP passive (no trunk configured)

On the switch run the command "show trunk" to verify if the LACP trunk was established.

Some more info here

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/NIC-teaming-amp-load-balancing/m-p/4772283#M110888

Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

CCO

I did try the LACP on server and no trunk on switch : the switch build himself a dynamic trunk "dyn1", unfortunately it is bound untagged to the default VLAN, and i can't change this binding.

I will test again at the server place thursday (i lost the remote desktop with changing VLAN ...) to see the published speed on the server.

I will then post the result.