1753808 Members
7243 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VRRP vs. VRRPe

Bergin
Advisor

VRRP vs. VRRPe

So I queried the forums and didn't see much on this topic.

I have two 9308's and want to run separate fiber trunks from each close to each 9308 and then using VRRP or VRRPe want to create redundancy for the 9308.

Long term, I would want to put a standby data center behind the standby switch but for now I am just looking at making the fiber and the 9308's redundant.

Thanks,

Rob
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: VRRP vs. VRRPe

In regards to VRRP vs VRRPe, the main difference is that with VRRPe all routers are backup routers, and use a virtual IP address. The master is decided by a priority value which you assign. This allows you to easily change which router will be the Master for a particular VRID.

With VRRP, you would either need to change the clients default gateway, or reconfigure the routers so that that you'd swapped their IP addresses around.

I can't imagine many scenarios why you'd really need to change the Master / Backup routers around - you can temporarily change it on VRRP anyway by changing the owner priority to a value lower than one of the backups (resets on a reboot though). Maybe if you were making significant changes to your network the additional capabilities VRRPe may come in more useful.

Bergin
Advisor

Matt,

It sounds like you are saying to only use VRRPe if you are going to "make significant" changes to your network that VRRPe would be more useful.

If that's true are you then saying that VRRP would be what you would implement?

I am fine with VRRP but one of the HP DOC's made it sounds like VRRPe was better than VRRP but required the use of HP Switches on both sides (which we have).

Thanks,

Rob
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

In all the documentation I've read, it indicates that VRRPe is 'enhanced' and does have some benefits over standard VRRP. I think this is mostly to do with the flexibility that a true virtual IP address has to offer. If anyone else knows of any other benefits please let us know.

You are right that VRRPe can only be used on the 9300/9400 series.

I've debated it a lot in my head thinking which way I would go if I had to make the choice. I like the idea that VRRPe would allow me to change the Master router very easily (even though I can't think of an instance where I would want to), but I also like that with standard VRRP I could use it with other routers that support VRRP only, like the new 5400 or 8100 series.

I think it just depends on what you forsee in the future, are you going to want to use other routers that support VRRP only? Or can you think of a reason that you may want to change the Master router with ease?

Whichever protocol you choose, I don't see it being that much of an ordeal changing it down the track if you need to (unless you require some very serious uptime).