New Discussion юеВ

Can't ssh into HP 5500 using Putty

SOLVED
Go to solution
JacobAZ
Occasional Contributor

Can't ssh into HP 5500 using Putty

Hello All,

I am attempting to ssh into my switch using putty but as soon as I click Open I instantly get "Remote side unexpectedly closed network connection". As far as I can tell, ssh is enabled (via web interface and through cli from com port). What else can I check to see what is blocking access.

PS, I am currently plugged directly into a switch port when I attempt to connect.

3 REPLIES 3
JacobAZ
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Can't ssh into HP 5500 using Putty

Nevermind, I was able to figure it out.

# Enable the VTYs 0 through 4 to support SSH only.

system-view

[Sysname] user-interface vty 0 4

[Sysname-ui-vty0-4] authentication-mode scheme

[Sysname-ui-vty0-4] protocol inbound ssh

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi again @JacobAZ !

I've seen it before, let's see if you have "authentication-mode scheme" under VTY interfaces context. No idea how to check it on the Web GUI though... You can verify my guess by generating and downloading diagnostic file from the GUI, it is in Device Maintenance, Diagnostic information. Generate the file, download it, open it with text editor and find section called "display current-configuration". In that configuration find the line "user-interface vty 0 15". Under it you must have "authentication-mode scheme" like in the example below:

user-interface vty 0 15
 authentication-mode scheme

If it's not there, this must be the cause. I know only one way to fix it - console cable, enter the CLI and execute the following (you can copy-paste it):

system-view
user-interface vty 0 15
authentication-mode scheme
return
save safely force

After you see "Configuration is saved to device successfully." message, disconnect from the console and try SSH again.

Maybe there is a way to do it through the GUI, but I couldn't find it...

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

LOL, this time you were faster than me, well done! 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo