New Discussion

Re: Anyone using KVM Virtualization?

SOLVED
Go to solution
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Can openfiler do replication?
Because whats the point of HA when your datastore is a single point of failure!
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Well - one can also make their Openfiler highly available too sir -- even set it up for whatever flavour of replication ehy wish. I cite OpenFiler as just one amongst a plethora of recipes out there for BUILDING one's own Virtual Environment storage specially if buying pre-built ones with restrictive licensing is beyond an SMB's or an organisation's reach.

Gigabit infrastructure has reached earthly prices and one can make good use aggregating/trunking this pipe for both HA (live migration) and Storage. Sure the ideal is 10GBe BUT it is still heavenly priced.

These days, there are LOTs of Clustered and HA Storage out there and with commodity components (disks, motherboards, cpus, memory, NICs, Enclosures) becoming very affordable - many out there are embarking in building their own.

Lots of these clustered and HA storage schemes are becoming sophesticated though I expect most will remain Open SOurce and GPL'd even after they're gobbled up by Venture Capitalists or the Big 3.

One clustred storage technology I am closely following and baking in my Lab is DRBD - http://www.drbd.org/ - it is very very promising.

Hakuna Matata.