Operating System - HP-UX
1754167 Members
3177 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Autologin on HP-UX v10.2

Cliff Boisvert

Autologin on HP-UX v10.2

Is there a way to automatically login a user when the machine boots?
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Cliff,

I won't say it's not possible but it is very difficult. If you are talking about connecting to a dedicated serial port then yes it can be done but it will require quite a bit of c.
It always is a HUGE security problem. If you are talking about connecting via a telnet session then forget it. This task is most often done by setting up a server than listens for connections on a dedicated port.

I think you need to tell us what you are trying to do and maybe someone can suggest a better method.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Cliff Boisvert

When the workstation boots to the CDE Login prompt I would like to automatically log in a specific user. I used to accomplish this with VUE by using Autostart and giving the user the choice to login to VUE or timing out and logging in a specific user automatically. I could then start my app in the login script for this dedicated user. I haven't found a way to accomplish this with CDE
Greg Conn
Advisor

Are you trying to start an application? If so then in the /etc/passwd file instead of a home directory have it be the absolute path to the application. When the usr logs in the application will start with nothing else.