1755694 Members
2964 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BIND v4.9.7 (PHNE_20618)

BIND v4.9.7 (PHNE_20618)

I have installed the PHNE_20618 patch on a 10.20 system. The hosts_to_named script used to take about 5 minutes to run with approx. 27 domains in authority. Now that I installed the patch, the script takes about 2 hours to run. Why????
4 REPLIES 4
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Re: BIND v4.9.7 (PHNE_20618)

Brian,

Swremove the patch. Read the text, and see if it is applicable to you environment and make changes if necessay, before reinstalling the patch.

When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.

I had read the text. The section that was applicable was:

Defect Description:
PHNE_20618:
1. JAGac40451 / SR8606125060:
Boundary conditions are not handled properly.
Resolution:
The boundary conditions have been addressed.

2. JAGaa57264 / SR5003446138:
BIND 4.9.7 running as internal nameserver
and forwarding queries to external nameserver
fails when the lookup address has a CNAME
record with a higher TTL than its corresponding
A record.
Resolution:
The query packet header was not properly framed.
Now a proper header is sent in the query packet.

This was happening with queries to the internet to sites like yahoo.com and cnn.com that use round-robin responses. Once I installed the patch, these sites were accessible on a reliable basis again. Now it's just the hosts_to_named script that's misbehaving.

I DO know better than to blindly apply patches.. Been burned before!! :-)
Donald Branch
Occasional Contributor

Brian

I don't know if this is applicable or not but I installed the patch to to my test system, I have a script that runs the host_to_named conversion and at the end restart named, the problem I had was in the restart of named that was takeing a long time due to the fact that the bin 4.9.7 doesn't like host names with "_" in them. I had to add to my named.boot file a ignore statement to get over these errors. Hope this helps

Donald Branch
IBJ
It' not over until the fat lady sings!

I had the same problem with _, but I banned them from hostnames. Took care of that issue. The named would not load a zone that had _ in the name, you would get an error on the zone.

The script that I am referring to is the hosts_to_named. I ran sdiff on it and the older version and found the difference. They added a routine called getip() that verifies that the IP address octets are between 0 and 255 inclusive (in case an address is typo'd). It creates a file, the cat's it through this awk routine. I went back to using the previous version of the script and it runs in about 5 minutes, instead of 2 hours. I just make sure that I don't type an IP address!!! :-) Not worth the extra 1 hr 55 minutes of runtime.