Cannot boot linux after deleting one disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Samshen
Frequent Advisor

Cannot boot linux after deleting one disk

Hi,
I am using Linux RedHat 5.
I have mounted a new disk and added a new line in fstab to mount this disk automatically on /mnttemp.
I shut down the server and now I do not have access anymore to the whole storage, but I forgot to delete the entry in fstab while the system was up and running.
Now when I try to start the system, it says that filesystem /mnttemp has errors and boot process interrupts, giving the message:

Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue):

I give the root password and try to edit /etc/fstab, but it says that the file system is read-only.

I try also to boot on single user mode, mounting rw the root filesystem, but it does not boot, it goes into the same error message.

Please give me any idea how to boot the system. Is there any option in GRUB to boot the system ignoring /etc/fstab entries?

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot boot linux after deleting one disk

hi,

if its possible boot a live cd/dvd/usb-stick and mount the root file system and edit the fstab entries.

mikap
FLQ
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Samshen,

when you get to the prompt in single user mode after you put the root password, issue this command:

mount -o remount,rw /

then

vi /etc/fstab

HTH
Samshen
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Actually I could not get to single user mode. I added init=/bin/sh on GRUB parameters and after I got into single mode.
After I ran:
mount -o remount,rw /

and it is fine now.

Thank you for your help.
Samshen
Frequent Advisor

I have found a solution to this question.