4090 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Display settings not working for Intrusion Detection System GUI

vz7r1x
Regular Advisor

Display settings not working for Intrusion Detection System GUI

Hi!

I installed HIDS on HPUX 11.31 (PA-RISC / 9000) and installation seem normal. When I start HIDS GUI application, I get the display error shown below:

$ /opt/ids/bin/idsgui

Unable to display the GUI on

xxx.xxx.xx.xx:0.0

Please check the value of the environment variable DISPLAY and verify that this machine is authorized
to connect to that display.

$

My environment show that DISPLAY is set to the local host

==>>

$ env
DISPLAY=192.xxx.xxx.xx.xx:0.0
$ echo $SHELL
/sbin/sh

==>>
$ which java
/opt/java1.4/bin/java

==> I have X Server software installed as shown by "swlist -l product"

X11                      B.11.31        HP-UX X Window Software
Xserver               B.11.31        HP-UX X Server

What can I do to make display work?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Do you have a monitor with X running on your local server or do you work from remote?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> My environment show that DISPLAY is set to the local host

Your local or server's local?

If you are working with a display directly connected to the server, you probably should use the DISPLAY=:0.0 setting instead. It will use a local UNIX socket, bypassing the TCP/IP network stack and allow the use of some parts of the X11 protocol that offer improved performance when working with a local display.

If the DISPLAY variable is pointing to your workstation, then the X server on the HP-UX system is not used at all: the question is, do you have an X server running on your own workstation?

(An X server is the thing that actually draws the graphics on the screen on behalf of an X application. It also tracks the user's keypresses and mouse motions and passes them to the appropriate application as meaningful input events.)

Microsoft Windows does not include an X server by default, but there are several commercial and freeware options: Reflection/X and Exceed are well known commercial products, while Xming and Cygwin/X are freeware.

If yor workstation is running Linux or similar, be advised that most Linux distributions today block their X servers from receiving unprotected X11 traffic over the network by default, as it is not secure at all.

You should be using the X forwarding feature of SSH instead of fiddling with the DISPLAY variable manually. It's easier too: just run "ssh -X user@remotehost" (or -Y with some older X applications), log in, start a X application and it just... works. The remote sshd will automatically set the DISPLAY variable for you, although the value will look rather strange if you are used to the traditional way of using X.

MK
vz7r1x
Regular Advisor

Hi Torsten!

I have a Windows laptop that connects me to a Windows XP Server.  Windows XP Server is on the same network where my HPUX server is. I connect from Windows XP Server to the HPUX server via SSH.

Thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Download and install something like mobaxterm, start it, ssh within this tool to the hp-ux server and go on ...

This tool has a Xwindows server for windows built-in.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!