108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HOSTNAME CHANGE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

HOSTNAME CHANGE

Getting ready to swap IP addresses on two boxes. HP12 becomes HP11 and 11 becomes 12.
What will I need to change, just the hostname with the hostname command and re-configure the network cards with the appropriate ip adress and hostname?

Thanks,
Bob
UNIX IS GOOD
4 REPLIES 4
John Palmer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Nope, do the following:-

1. Shutdown to single user mode with 'shutdown 0'.
2. Edit /etc/rc.config.d/netconf. This contains the hostname and network configuration info.
3. Edit /etc/hosts (and any relevant DNS configuration if appropriate).
4. reboot.

I do this in single user mode because changing /etc/hosts can cause certain shutdown scripts to 'hang'.

Regards,
John
LucianoCarvalho
Respected Contributor

Hi Robert,

I think you can do the following.

1 - Edit the files /etc/rc.config.d/netconf on HP11 and HP12 and change the IP-Address and hostname.

2 - If you use /etc/hosts as name resolution, you have to edit this file and change the IP-Address for HP11 and HP12 too, or instead /etc/hosts, you use DNS, you have to change the IP-Address for HP11 and HP12 in the DNS Server database.

3 - Reboot HP11 and HP12.

I hope this help.
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

I am getting ready to do a similar thing this friday. I ran the script '/sbin/set_parms hostname' to do the hostname change on the box prior to the IP & DNS swap. It ran fine, no problems--just keep in mind that the script reboots the box as the final step.

HTH
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as far as i know it is reconmendet using /sbin/set_parms hostname. This will make sure all necessary files are configured correctly.

It also works to edit /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and delete the hostname and IP Adress. During the reboot the system will ask you for the new hostname. In fact it is running set_parms hostname automatically.

Hope this helps

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.