108841 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to fetch Database related information in HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

How to fetch Database related information in HP-UX

Hi every one, can any one tell me how to fetch information regarding following on HP-UX:

1. ODBC Data Sources its server name, description, driver, host, database.

2. Database Servers: server name and version

3. Databases installed their name, collation, users, size, filepath, transize, tranfilepath, servername, options.

Is there any file that I can read or any command that I can fire.

Thanks and Regards.
Kunal
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Have a conversation with the DBA. He/She should know all of this.
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

Dear sir i dont have access to DBA that why posted here. please help
Michael Mike Reaser
Valued Contributor

The answers to your questions depend on the database that you're using, not the operating system. This information isn't kept at the OS level because it's database-vendor-specific.

Thus, as Patrick said, your best resource would be the DBA(s) who set all of this up and/or maintain it. There's no one, single "way" to see any of that information, since each database software package handles all of them in different fashions.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

HP-Server-Literate since 1979
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor
Solution

1. Are you really sure you're using ODBC on HP-UX ? Seems strange to me...

2 & 3. Many ways for this :
. If you have Oracle installed on your server, and configured in a common way, you should have dedicated filesystems for it. Have a look at mounted filesystems that seems oracle related.
. Other point : issue a find command, looking at an executable file called "oracle". You will then find Oracle kernels location.
. Other possibility, have a look at /etc/oratab file. It should probably contains a list of Oracle instance and a value for their Oracle homes.
. Last point : issue a "ps -edf | grep smon" and you will find runing oracle processes (but it will only match running Oracle).

With all of this, you should have a start point for us to help you more. But isn't there anyone at your company knowing what databases are installed ?

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

Hi Fred thanks very much. the problem is i am given a job to run a script and fetch database information (and all above mentioned fields). I basicaly belong to C programing and shell scripting. so dont have any idea of database.

can any one plese tell where or how to find mysql, DB2, informix, sybase etc information on HP-UX.

Thanks and regards