Operating System - HP-UX
1752802 Members
5985 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install and configure Aries - emulator in Integrity servers.

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

How to install and configure Aries - emulator in Integrity servers.

Hi All,

we are having PA-RISC servers and running HP-UX 10.20, 11.00 and 11.11 in our environment and some old applications are running like UGMX, Synergy, EDI.

Now we are planning to configure one Integrity server with Integrity VM and we are going to install guest HP-UX OS (11.31) for each already available PA-RISC servers.

What is the issue is there is no support from vendor for application and there is no latest version of applicaiton is available in market.

So we are planning to use Aries - Emulator to emulate the PA-RISC applications on Integrity servers.

I have found some following information:

1)Aries is a binary emulator that transparently emulates 32-bit and 64-bit HP-UX PA-RISC applications on HP-UX IA-64 machines. Aries is transparent in that:

2)The HP-UX PA-RISC application is not re-compiled.

3)The user does not explictly invoke Aries.

4)The HP-UX IA-64 kernel recognizes a HP-UX PA-RISC executable and invokes Aries to emulate the application.

Now i have following questions:

1)Are those above mentioned true?

2)How to migrate the old applications running on PA-RISC to Aries installed in Integrity servers?

3)Need detailed administration notes for Aries?

4)Plese give your valuable information about Aries?
18 REPLIES 18
Solution

senthil,

1) Yes statements are true.

2) No simple answer - in a nutshell you need to copy over the application binaries, its data and all its libraries from the PA system to the IA system, then just fire it up - but I can't tell you exactly what to do, it really is on a case by case basis

3) Visit http://www.hp.com/go/aries

4) No comment...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

There is a wealth of accurate information here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/Aries.5.html

www.hp.com/go/aries

I suggest you begin reading there.

Regards!

...JRF...
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Most applications will run 'as-is' when you copy them from PA-RISC to Itanium. You don't need to anything at all.

You may want to ensure that latest ARIES patch is installed on the machine.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

We are on the same path. "Generally" - ALL PARISC applications and objects should "run" on Itanium environments under 11.23 or 11.31.

There is barely any performance degradation that at times the apps actually run faster due to the faster CPUs and caches and I/O subsystems of the Integrity systems.

BUT do test and test and test.... before cutting it to production.

Hakuna Matata.
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The following links will be helpful to you.

performance optimization best-practices :
http://h20338.www2.hp.com/enterprise/downloads/aries%20trans.pdf

Please go through the ARIES LIMITATIONS section in the doc
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/Aries.5.html
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Hi All,

I have some questions:

1)Is HP Aries coming with HP-UX 11.31 by default with free of cost.

2)what is the purpose of "binary scan".

3)How to copy the applications,

4)Do we need to copy as it is in PA-RISC like location of the files.

5)How to find all the files inculding binary and libraries of the application in already location of PA-RISC.

> 1)Is HP Aries coming with HP-UX 11.31 by default with free of cost.

Yes its part of any 11iv2/11iv3 installation on an Integrity system. There is no charge for it.

> 2)what is the purpose of "binary scan".

To check an apps suitability for migration - generally this i not connected to Aries, but is more about a prt of the application (i.e. re-compile). Info on binaryscan is here:

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=c9640bc5a8196110VgnVCM100000275d6e10RCRD

> 3)How to copy the applications,

Generally the best thing to do is just pick up and move thir whole directory structure as-is. (i.e. tar it up on the old system, then un-tar it on the new system)

> 4)Do we need to copy as it is in PA-RISC like location of the files.

Things are generally more likely to work if you do this. So unless you have a _very_ good reason not to, if you app is installed in /app on the old PA system I'd keep it installed in /app in the new Integrity system.

5)How to find all the files inculding binary and libraries of the application in already location of PA-RISC.

I can't tell you this - as I said just take all the non-system files that you think the app uses. When you try and run it on the Integrity system, if somethging is missing, it should tell you, or you can start playing with the ldd/chatr commands to figure out waht libraries the app uses.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Hi Duncan Edmonstone,

1) From where i can download binaryscan, is it free?

2)How to find system files and non system files?

3)i have not worked with ldd/chatr, so please give some notes on ldd/chatr?

4)Please tell me if any othere important diagnostics or methods we need to follow before coping the applications from PA-RISC to Integrity.

> 1) From where i can download binaryscan, is it free?

The download link was in the previous link I posted - it's free for members of the Developer & Solution Partner Program, but your company may not be a member - to be honest IU wouldn't concern yourself too much with binaryscan, as based on your questions and this thread, I don't think you'd be able to make effective use of it anyway

> 2)How to find system files and non system files?

By system files I mean "part of the OS, not part of the application...in the case of applications, generally system files are just shared libraries that the application uses - so anything under /usr/lib is typically a system file. For a _full_ list of every file that is part of the OS, typically:

swlist -l file > /tmp/systemfiles.txt

will get you a nice long list (but there are a lot of files - this generated a 6MB list of files on my 11.11 system)

> 3)i have not worked with ldd/chatr, so please give some notes on ldd/chatr?

Very easy - just run it againsta an application binary on your old PA platform... for example here's the output of ldd on an oracle binary on my system:

ldd oracle
libskgxp10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libskgxp10.sl
libhasgen10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libhasgen10.sl
libskgxn2.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libskgxn2.sl
libocr10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libocr10.sl
libocrb10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libocrb10.sl
libocrutl10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libocrutl10.sl
libclsra10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libclsra10.sl
libdbcfg10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libdbcfg10.sl
libjox10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libjox10.sl
libnnz10.sl => /oracle/app/product/10g/lib//libnnz10.sl
libcl.2 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libcl.2
librt.2 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/librt.2
libpthread.1 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libpthread.1
libnss_dns.1 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libnss_dns.1
libdl.1 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libdl.1
libnsl.1 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libnsl.1
libm.2 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libm.2
libc.2 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libc.2
libocrb10.sl => ../lib/libocrb10.sl
libocrutl10.sl => ../lib/libocrutl10.sl
libhasgen10.sl => ../lib/libhasgen10.sl
libxti.2 => /usr/lib/pa20_64/libxti.2

Looking down this list I can see a lot of files that come from under /usr/lib - these are system files and I probably don't need to move them to a new integrity system if I moved oracle across (I could double check by seeing if they were in my system file list I created at point 2 above) - the other libraries are not system files, but application libraries that oracle needs to run, so I'd need to copy these files onto the new Integrity server along with the oracle binary in order for it to work (Like DLLs in windows).

> 4)Please tell me if any othere important diagnostics or methods we need to follow before coping the applications from PA-RISC to Integrity.

Honestly? Get someone who understands this stuff properly to look at it - I really don't hold out much hope for you being able to carry out this sort of task given your apparent level of knowledge - your questions read like someone who didn't even work in IT a few months ago, and you are now attempting something I would look for an experienced systems consultant/engineer with 5 years expertise in HP-UX to do.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo