Operating System - HP-UX
1752590 Members
4101 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to list software dependencies or force removal?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

How to list software dependencies or force removal?

Trying to remove a bunch of cruft that was installed on a supposedly minimal system. When trying to remove software, swremove says there are dependencies but doesn't say what they are.

How do I find the dependencies or just force removal?

Thanks!

Leam
7 REPLIES 7
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: How to list software dependencies or force removal?

Do you have an example error messages? Does the message mention using swjob for more details?
What HP-UX version do you have?

You should be able to use swlist with "-a corequisites" and "-a prerequisites" to find these filesets.
Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

Yup, and the issue is that things like Partition Manger require stuff like Java, which requires a bunch of other stuff.

In my case I want to remove java, tomcat, apache, wbem, and a bunch of other stuff. It seems so highly intertwined and dependant that it's becoming a pain.

Thoughts? The swlist -a stuff is great, it shows me what needs to be removed. However, I still need to get this stuff off the machine.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I want to remove java, tomcat, apache, wbem, and a bunch of other stuff. It seems so highly intertwined and dependent that it's becoming a pain.
>The swlist -a stuff is great, it shows me what needs to be removed.

You take that list from swlist and put it in a file to just list the filesets and/or products.
Then you can use one swremove to remove them all at once:
swremove -f software_file
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Leam:

> In my case I want to remove java, tomcat, apache, wbem, and a bunch of other stuff. It seems so highly intertwined and dependant that it's becoming a pain.

Yes, but this is a twisted path. The installation guide notes that you should not deselect (or later remove) the "recommended (default-installed) software.

I wholly agree with your view. After all, 11.31 comes with *three* versions of Java!

My opinion, however, is to leave things alone. A couple of boot disks are cheap.

Regards!

...JRF...

Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

The issue I face is security. Local scan tools will hit on things and either the software is removed or the machine is taken off the network.

This is a new build so I'm trying to get it squared away up front.
Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

So, once I go through /opt and rm the stuff that can't be removed via swremove, is there any cleanup to be done?

Leam
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> So, once I go through /opt and rm the stuff that can't be removed via swremove, is there any cleanup to be done?

You might find some empty directories, but all else should be OK.

Regards!

...JRF...