New Discussion юеВ

How to re-sync a mirror disk after disk fault

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Yu
Super Advisor

How to re-sync a mirror disk after disk fault

Hi all,

We had a disk fault on one of our HPUX11.0 system, it's a mirror copy of vg01, only one file system /home is on that VG. we are going to change the disk, I just want to know what do I need to do to re-sync the new mirror disk afterwards (some basic steps).

thanks,
Gary
6 REPLIES 6
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: How to re-sync a mirror disk after disk fault

If disk is hot swappable, replace it and do vgcfgrestore (vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg01 /device_File_of_new disk and do vgsync.

(In case if disk is not hot swappable, shutdown, replace the disk and do as mentioned above)

This should be OK.

There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor
Solution

here is a similar thread that addresses this topic and contain what you are after ...

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x645f8b82cc91d711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

Hope this helps!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Gary:

Have a look at the Software Recovery Handbook (chapter-16:LVM). There are specific steps for hot-swappable and non-hot-swappable disks and specific guidelines based on a critical LVM patch's presence or absence:

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/docDisplay.do?docId=/DE_SW_UX_swrec_EN_01_E/LVM.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
Gary Yu
Super Advisor

Thanks guys for the quick response.

JRF, the document is very helpful, could you please send me the link for the full document ?

thanks again,
Gary
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Gary:

You can access the Software Recovery Handbook by going to Maintenance and SUpport -> Navigate Knowledge Trees -> HP-UX Software Recovery Handbook. At that point, select the chapter you want. You will see a link under the chapter description. CLick it to read the chapter. For instance, selecting chapter-16 would show "Chapter 16 - Logical Volume Manager (LVM)". Beneath that is a link which reads "LVM". Click that to begin the chapter.

Regards!

...JRF...
Gary Yu
Super Advisor

Thanks James, in the knowledge tree, I can only see hardware (FAQ, server , storage), I guess because my support agreement...

Gary