1752861 Members
3739 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to read HP-UX (PA-RISC) file type in Linux

Moorthy27

How to read HP-UX (PA-RISC) file type in Linux

Hi,

We are working on the application server migration from HP-UX t o RHEL. We are almost done all the part of configuration setup and file transfer in RHEL . But now we faced some issue related to PA-RISC file type.

Actually we have one binary file which was generated in Hp-UX and we transfered the file and it does not working in RHEL, the reason is binary file which was generated in HP-UX is not compatible in RHEL platform. So we tried to find the respective source code to re-compile in RHEL but unfortunatly we don't have the soruce code related to that binar file.

So , here my question is that binary file file type in HP-UX is "PA-RISC1.1 shared executable - not stripped". So there any possible way that particular file can able to read in RHEL platform or do we have any other method. Because that particular file is blocking our complete migration. So, it would be great help if any one knows about it to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Moorthy

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to read HP-UX (PA-RISC) file type in Linux

Do you also change th hardware platform?

Or do you plan to run RHEL on PA-Risc hardware?

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Moorthy27

Yes, we are migrating to RHEL 8 (x86_64 GNU/Linux) . So hardware also changed.

This won┬┤t work !!

The PA-RISC processor has a uniq and completly different CPU command set than x86.

You cannot run a PA-RISC binary on x86 hardware.

You will either need to recompile it, or try to find a PA-RISC emulator that runs the binary on Linux x86

Google pointed me to "Stromasys" which seems to be a commertial solution. There may be other pulic-domain-flavors as well.

As far as i know, HPE does not provide such emulator.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

The Stromasys emulator is for MPE only, they aren't licensed to emulate HP-UX. Even then it emulated a complete system, it wouldn't let you run just a PA-RISC binary on a Linux/x86 system. You had to run a VM with the PA1.1 OS inside it.

Yes you are pretty much stuck - what you want to do can't be acheived unless you can i) find the source code and recompile on x86 or ii) find another binary that does the same thing on x86.

There is a module of the QEMU emulator that emulates a PA1.1 system, but again this emulates a complete system and you would still need to run HP-UX in a virtual machine on x86/Linux. You could try and find someone at HPE to license you for that, but I suspect they will say "no way" (I'm not in the part of HPE that has any say in this kind of thing). It can technicall be done (see this blog post here: https://astr0baby.wordpress.com/2019/04/28/running-hp-ux-11-11-on-qemu-system-hppa/ ), but I doubt it could legally be done, and you would 100% be on your own from a support perspective.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Debojit15
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

If we install the emulator, is there will be any performance issue ? What do you mean by that you need to install HP-UX in separate virtual box ? Then Where should I install the emulator? Do we need to install the emulator in hp-ux (virtual box) or we can install it in RHEL8 server only ? 
If emulator compile the binary file successfully will it be able to run run the application in RHEL8  using thoose compiled library files from emulator ?

Go understand what QEMU is in the first place by looking here: https://www.qemu.org/

To be clear this emulates *whole operating systems*, so you can run an image of a PA-RISC OS on an x86/Linux system.

>>If we install the emulator, is there will be any performance issue ?

My experience of qemu_hppa was it was painfully slow

>>What do you mean by that you need to install HP-UX in separate virtual box ?

I didn't mention virtual box. I was making the point that qemu emaulates the OS, it doesn't just let you run commands from another OS, it allows you to run the whole OS on x86. That's a very different thing.

>>Then Where should I install the emulator? Do we need to install the emulator in hp-ux (virtual box) or we can install it in RHEL8 server only ? 

You install it on a x86/Linux box, then give it a file to use as an OS image, and then install HP-UX into that image. This is all shown in the link I posted in my previous reply.

>>If emulator compile the binary file successfully will it be able to run run the application in RHEL8  using thoose compiled library files from emulator ?

You won't need to compile anything - it's an emulator, so will emulate the HP-UX operating system. Of course this binary will then be running in a different OS from all the other code that you have already migrated to x86/Linux.

However as I stated previously, if you don't speak to a HPE represenetative about the legality of doing this for anything more than hobbyist type activities, then you may be breaking HP-UX license terms & conditions. I only pointed out that it was possible, not that you should do it. I still think the right answer here is to track down the source code and recompile.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Debojit15
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply, I went through the whole blog to understand.

Yes, seems like it is possible to do so.

Only two blocker is there like :

1) Before we do it we need to talk with HPE teams for licencing and authorizing purpose.

2) This emulator will be very horribly slow.