3245 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite make_sys_image failing

Lance McGrath
Occasional Advisor

Ignite make_sys_image failing

All -

I'm setting up an ignite server for the first time and running into a bit of a problem creating a golden archive. I've installed the Mimimum Ignite package on a target machine (angels), then attempted to run the make_sys_image utility.

First, I'm confused, because the documentation makes it sound like I could create the file locally. However, it demands the -s option, so I gave it the ignite server (pirates). Shouldn't there be a way to just create this image in a local directory?

Second, it fails every time with the following error:
.Appending file /var/adm/sw/security/_PROD_DFLT_ACL to keepsafe archive
.Appending file /var/adm/sw/security/_SOC_DFLT_ACL to keepsafe archive
.Appending file /var/adm/sw/security/secrets to keepsafe archive
.Appending file /var/adm/sw/security/secrets.pag to keepsafe archive
Appending file /var/adm/sw/security/secrets.dir to keepsafe archive

* Archiving contents of angels via tar to
pirates:/var/opt/ignite/archives/angels.gz.
Error 0
cat: Cannot write to output.
* Creation of system archive complete
* Cleanup: Do Not interrupt, restoring files, kernel, and transition links.

Obviously, there's a few more "archiving contents" before that. I haven't figured out an effective way to monitor the diskspace while this happening, so my best *guess* is that it's running out of space, despite the huge amounts available. The only way that could be happening is if it's following network mounts... I'm hoping the utility doesn't do that, correct?

If you have any thoughts on what's causing this error message, I'd really appreciate your help!

Lance
2 REPLIES 2
Lance McGrath
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ignite make_sys_image failing

I forgot to mention, these are both J6700s running HP-UX 11.0.

Thanks,
Lance
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite make_sys_image failing

You would probably get a better response to your question if your were to post this question on the Ignite area of the forum.

To run make_sys_image on angels, specifiy 'local' as the argument for the -s flag.

e.g.

# make_sys_image -s local ... etc ...

If you run list_expander, it will give you an idea of the archive size.

# /opt/ignite/lbin/list_expander -s

This could help you determine if you have enough space on /var

You could also run make_sys_image in preview mode (-p flag), and/or combine that with the -u flag to check the archive destination has enough capacity.