5774 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Import existing disk from between two linux machines

Samshen
Frequent Advisor

Import existing disk from between two linux machines

Hi,
I have removed a non-system disk fro one linux machine and plugged into another linux machine (running RedHat 5.1).
I boot the second machine, but on the "Logical Volume Management" screen, the new disk (which is on /dev/sdc) is displayed as "uninitialized", although it contains an logical volume and an ext3 filesystem.
Please help me how can I import the new disk which contains data from one linux machine into the other.

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If the new disk contained a logical volume, it belonged to some Volume Group (VG).

- What was the name of the VG in the system that had the disk originally? Does the new system have a conflicting VG with the same name? (That would prevent the system from activating the VG until vgrename was used to remove the conflict.)

- In its original machine, was the disk the only one in its VG, or did other disks belong to the same VG? (If several disks belonged to the original VG and you moved only one of them, the moved VG cannot be activated automatically because a part of the VG is now missing.)

Please run these commands as root:

vgscan
vgs -o +vg_uuid
pvs

Please paste the outputs to this thread.
If the LVM configuration file /etc/lvm/lvm.conf has been modified on your system, it might be useful to see it too; please attach it if necessary.

MK
MK
Samshen
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Actually I ran the command that you proposed (vgscan) and it recognized the volume group (it is only one VG in this disk and this VG contains only this disk, no naming conflict also).
After I issued:

vgchange -a y vg01

and now it works fine.

So the only problem was that I had to issue vgscan manually (even after reboot the vg was not recognized) and activate VG also manually.

Thank you.