108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NO_HW on DSF path

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

NO_HW on DSF path

What is the procedure for getting HPUX 11iv3 to accept a new disk on a path that had an old disk. We had a SAN LUN attached and it was giving the name disk10. We then deleted the LUN and created a new larger LUN in its place. ioscan showed NO_HW on every path to the new LUN. I assume this was because it was looking for the old LUN on those paths and it wasn't there anymore. I tried a few different rmsf's and ended up deleting the paths from the ioscan listings but ioscan still didn't find the new LUN. A reboot fixed the issue.

Question: what is the correct sequence of commands to tell HPUX to accept a brand new device on a path that already had a disk on it?
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

Presenting new luns to a server comes first from the SAN admin who should provide you with the lun id. 2nd, if EMC Power Path run 'powermt display', as well as 'syminq' or 'symdg list'. There are several basic EMC, XP (* xpinfo *), Hitachi, Shark, etc. disk array commands separate from the HP-UX command set.

Now run 'insf -e'. This recreates the device pathways. Sometimes you have to do it twice. Now it should be viewable from 'ioscan -fnk'. Note, use -fnk to rebuild the ioscan binary stored in the kernel. -funC refers to the old report.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

The LUN was presented OK as the reboot fixed the path problem. We are not using powerpath, it is not needed on 11iv3.

I tied insf with and without the '-e' but I may not have tried it with the '-e' twice in a row. I don't know if insf works differently in 11iv3. In the past it only created the device files if ioscan already showed the path. In my case the path was shown as NO_HW. after doing the rmsf -H on each path and also on the LUN path, ioscan didn't rediscover the path at all. It was like the LUN was completley gone.
Solution

Bill,

Seems to me you should read the section of this WP entitled "Validating online replacement of devices and SAN reconfigurations"

http://docs.hp.com/en/scsimgr/scsimgr_whp_AR0803.pdf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Thanks Duncan.

I posted two questions and you answered them both. The scsimgr command was exactly what I needed.