New Discussion

Re: Process and CPU information

SOLVED
Go to solution
G V R Shankar
Valued Contributor

Hi Dennis,

you are correct, top gives me the data I am looking for. I almost forgot the handy tools that we have in unix. I have been using the following command to get top 20 CPU consuming processes.

UNIX95= ps -e -o "user,pcpu,cpu,vsz,pid,ppid,args" | sort -rnk2 | head -20

If I look at TIME in top man page it says teh following.

TIME Number of system and CPU seconds the process has consumed.

The time column keeps updating when the process state is in run state (makes sense). The moment it goes in to sleep state, the time cloumn doesn't update. The moment it comes in to run state, it doesn't reset the time to zero (until and unless it is new process). It just adds the time to the privious value.

How would I know, how much time the process has been in run state before it actually went in to sleep.

%CPU is used to sort the top process.

Also, could you please explain me the difference between %CPU and %WCPU. What is Raw and Weighted.

Cheers,
Ravi.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Ravi:

> How would I know, how much time the process has been in run state before it actually went in to sleep.

I don't think you can determine that very easily (at least not with 'top'). A far better tool for "drilling down" is 'glance'. In fact, since 'glance' is architected to understand the HP-UX kernel, it is probably the best tool for performance analysis on these systems.

> Also, could you please explain me the difference between %CPU and %WCPU. What is Raw and Weighted.

The "raw" value would be a value for that sampling interval only. A "weighted" value would take into account previous values to arrive at a "smoother" average for comparative purposes.

If you Google for "weighted average" you will find (among others):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_mean

At the least, this will give you a better understanding of "weighted".

Regards!

...JRF...