2233 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Propose HP-UX + Windows Machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
ramses02

Propose HP-UX + Windows Machine

Hi all, hope someone could suggest me a machine that can run HP-UX and Window XP. We have an outside developer (far from my Malaysian office, they are in Switzerland) which is currently testing the application can run on both. I do not know how to contact them directly since my engineers have asked me to purchase the machine soon.

By the way, the current application is running well on HPUX. And my company wants it run on Window XP. I am afraid of buying the system which offer only HP-UX, then when Window's application comes in the near future, we have to buy another Window machine.

I have studied that only itanium-based servers offer this features. But HP-UX and W2K3 Server 64bit. Another question is, can RX2600 run XP? Then is it possible to do that?
8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Propose HP-UX + Windows Machine

You can only run both Windows and HP-UX on Integrity servers.

I would assume you can't use XP, only some 64 bit windows server OS. Unless you have VPARs, you would need HPVM to run windows.

>the current application is running well on HP-UX. And my company wants it run on Window XP.

They haven't started the port yet?
ramses02

So sorry...What do you mean "the port"?

I have checked that zx6000 can run on both HP-UX and XP, but the machine is seemingly old.
http://www.b2net.co.uk/hp/hp_zx6000_workstation.htm

My supplier is trying to get that.Is that worth to buy right now?

Sadly, I love to test it on rx2600 since HP said that would run on W2K3. Is that meaning that when the machine can run W2K3, it also able to install XP (64BIT)?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>What do you mean "the port"?

If something runs on HP-UX, you are likely to have to change something to run on windows. (Unless this is java?)

>I have checked that zx6000 can run on both HP-UX and XP, but the machine is seemingly old.

Right, don't go there. Workstations aren't supported on 11.31. And the last 11.23 was in 2005. And I don't think you can buy them from HP.

>Is that meaning that when the machine can run W2K3, it also able to install XP (64BIT)?

I would assume it would only supports windows 2003 server.

My comments above about VPARs & HPVM were for the case of running HP-UX and windows at the same time.
ramses02

Ohho...what a sad day today is!

We cannot buy this kind of machine even RX from HP. We have to get it from third party.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>buy this kind of machine even RX from HP.

You can't buy a rx, what price range?
If you want a superdome, I'm sure we will listen. :-)
ramses02

If you want a superdome, I'm sure we will listen. :-)

As I have been quoted by HP Reseller, rx2600's price is abt RM44K, offer/list price goes to RM28k (abt USD7.7k). The more sadden thing is on ebay.com, the price is just at USD1.5k-USD4k. But I am not able to buy this for my company since my management wont allow any purchase through ebay.com.

HP Malaysia is unable to sell any hyper machine directly to local customer. We have to liaise with HP reseller.

[Currently the currency is at USD1=RM3.6.(Ringgit Malaysia.]

BTW, back to the discussion, I am not going to bump this thread, perhaps ITRC admin will detect it.

Lets try and straighten a few things out here...

i) I'm pretty sure that most resellers will provide their prices and discounts as "commercial in confidence" i.e. you're not supposed to share them with anyone - and that certainly includes posting on public forums. Don't be surprised if that post gets removed.

ii) Those costs might look different but what are you comparing? Don't confuse a rx2600 with a rx2620 or a rx2660 - they are all different machines (granted the rx2620 and rx2600 are largely identical), plus the item on ebay might not include the HPUX OS, as much memory or CPUs - these things can make a big difference.

iii) You *cannot* run Windows XP on a Itanium (IA64) platform any more - Microsoft withdrew support for this. Windows XP runs on x86-32 and x86-64 processors only, so you can *never* run Windows XP and HP-UX on the same system.

iv) Why would you want to even do this anyway?? Why would you have an application that you run on a server OS like HP-UX and have that same application on a desktop OS like Windows XP? Are you sure you mean Windows XP and not Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008, both of which *will* run on a Itanium/IA64 system?

v) If you need a system to run Windows XP - well any old PC does that and they're cheap enough to have one and a IA64 server for HP-UX and not significantly increase the price. Why does this all have to be on one machine??

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
ramses02

Hi Duncan, that was my fault. I am so sorry for that revelation. Is there any chances to make the post corrected to rest my case?

FYI, my engineers want the system like that. I just want to seek for any possible availabilities in market. Your explaination gimme a very clear picture.

Thanks.