108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Storage Migration from EMC CX500 to CX240- Data Migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Storage Migration from EMC CX500 to CX240- Data Migration

I want to know what are the best options available for data migration from old EMC array to new one with higher capacity. We have 6 HP-UX servers connected to Array. All servers have 2 FC cards. Whether it will be good if i use 1 FC card temporary from HP-UX server to connect new EMC Array. And then use RSYNC or DD to copy data.
Or is there any free software tool available for data migration.
Or if anybody is having any other best option please let me know.
Thanks,
Narendra
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Storage Migration from EMC CX500 to CX240- Data Migration

> Whether it will be good if i use 1 FC card temporary from HP-UX server to connect new EMC Array

Are these connected through an FC switch? If so it would be better if you zoned the HP-UX servers to both arrays at the same time and use both FC cards.

For copying the data, it depends what kind of data it is and how much you have. With database files it would be best to schedule downtime and copy all the files over to a similar file/volume structure. When the copying is done, unmount the old EMC and mount the new EMC under the original mountpoints. With nondatabase files you can use rsync as well. The dd method would work only if you have identical volume sizes in the old and new EMC arrays. You would have to copy the entire volume image whether it is used by files or not.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Another option, which would avoid substantial downtime, is to use MirrorDisk/UX to mirror the logical volumes from the old array to the new one.

Since these are EMC arrays, you might also ask EMC what tools they have to assist you.

Regards!

...JRF...
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes EMC has tools to handle migrating your data - for a professional services fee. That is probably a 'best' option, but remember to keep a close watch, just because they do it - don't think it will be perfect. You will still have work to do.

Another option, that you allude to, is migrating the data yourself. This will depend on your current environment how well it will go. I did this a number of years ago during one data migration and as usual Jim Ferguson & Jim Poff gave me some great tips.
Now if you can simply zone,map & mask the new storage array and add (same size) disk to existing volume groups. Then set them as an additional mirror disk and then remove the old disk - you'll have it easy (I say that with a chuckle...).
If however, like me, your volume groups were already at disk capacity you'll have more work, but it is quite do-able.
When I did, I actually found migrating the data this way to be easier. I actually did it live, with next to no downtime. Albeit my bosses were nervous. But everything went nice and clean, and we were able to control the whole show. Takes a little longer, but once you do the first test one to see how simple it can be....it was actually fun.

Here's the old thread to give you some ideas...and remember - plan, document, backup to tape, test it first -then- do it.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1262033402908+28353475&threadId=51818

Kindest regards,
Rita