New Discussion юеВ

Re: Syslog not recieving logs from remote server

SOLVED
Go to solution
satheeshnp
Advisor

Syslog not recieving logs from remote server

Hi all,

Actually logs of our firewall device is logged in to one general syslog server(HP-UX)

Nowadays i my syslog server is not recieving any logs from that remote device.

When i read man page of syslogd ,i got this info.
If UNIX domain sockets are not configured on the
system, they write to the named pipe instead. If INET domain sockets
are not configured, syslogd does not receive messages forwarded from
other hosts, nor does it forward messages (see below)

How to check this...

Please help to rectify this.
2 REPLIES 2
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Maybe it is possible that you have a hardened security at the Bastille level which prevents you from doing this.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Checking for INET domain sockets is easy: if the system has any TCP or UDP connections at all, then the INET domain sockets must be configured and working.

(For example, if you can login to the system over the network using ssh, telnet, rlogin or XDMCP, your system is using the INET domain sockets successfully.)

To check for UNIX domain sockets, run "netstat -f unix": if you see more than 2 lines (the column titles) of output, your system has active UNIX domain sockets and therefore UNIX domain sockets must be configured on the system.

In very very old versions of HP-UX, it was probably possible to remove the support of some socket types, to allow the system to run in stripped-down configuration with very little memory. But nowadays, internet networking and inter-process communication are essential parts of any modern Unix-style operating system.

A HP-UX 11.xx system with support for UNIX or INET domain sockets removed would not be called "stripped down", it would be called "crippled" or "broken".

MK
MK