5470 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

chown when automount

Tracie Davis
Contributor

chown when automount

Hi Everyone,

I have a main HP-UX 10.20 box that is on automount to some hp workstaions . When I an on a workstation and type (ex: /net/ppi) to get to the main box, I get the following error: permission denied. But if I do a bdf I can see that the system got mounted.

Also once I go to that directory, some of the owners are numbers or the owner names are mismatched to their directories. When I go on the main HP box the owners are correct. This just started happening yesterday. How is this possible. How can I fix this?

I can do a chown for the mismatched, but I can't for the numbers.

I hope someone out there can understand my problem.

(ex:Home directory)
drwxrwxr-x 61 112 users 2048 Jul 13 12:03 paul
drwxrwxr-x 4 112 users 1024 Jun 24 08:45 sarah
drwxr-xr-x 3 hank users 1024 Dec 4 1999 sammy
drwxr-xr-x 46 109 users 2048 Jun 28 16:45 steve
drwxrwxr-x 20 juan users 2048 Jul 13 10:40 test
drwxrwxrwx 37 root users 2048 Jul 11 10:06 tina

Thanks All

Tracie
4 REPLIES 4
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

Re: chown when automount

The problem stems from the NFS server using a different password file than the clients. The best way to avoid this problem is to have users use the same UID's on different machines. Do NOT change the owner on the client side this will probably cause you problems on the server.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

The next best thing would be to use NIS (NIS+ is Okay, but a bit more complex) in conjuction with the automounter. Then you do not have to worry about matching UID GID, etc...
NIS and NFS automounter work very well together. I have used in any site more than 5 users for years!
Sam can do a reasonably good job of initiating a simple NIS environment for the Primary and clients.
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Brian is correct. You will have to sync UID numbers across servers (or implement NIS).
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

A point to take in is that UIDs and GIDs need to be the same across all systems.
If you have some users who should not be using NIS for login, add them to NIS and then star the passwd field. Then add the entry onto the local system using the same UID and GID.