1756335 Members
3629 Online
108846 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dld.sl problem after installing patch PHSS_30970

Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

dld.sl problem after installing patch PHSS_30970

After installing this patch, we have some third party software (Tivoli Workload Scheduler) that won't start up anymore... After some searching we found that it has a shared library, which can only be found if it is in one of two ridiculous locations: /usr/Tivoli/... or /tivoli/.../hpux10/... (we found those paths using the chatr function). In the past we could use the SHLIB_PATH environment variable, but this patch disables this for us on executables with setuid/setgid bits.
So, my question: does anybody know a way to change the searchpaths (apart from a hexeditor) in an executable without linking the binary?

A side effect of the patch is that the manual page of chatr stops working, though I'm sure it has new options. There are two more lines in the output after the patch... So maybe there is some (for me undocumented) option for chatr to do this...
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: dld.sl problem after installing patch PHSS_30970

Hi Elmar,

I believe you want
chatr -l library +s enable filename
replace library with required path(s)
+b enable
will enable the embedded lib paths.
They can be used together & the first one in the command line is searched first.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

Jeff, I'm sorry, but since the installation of the patch, the +s enable has no effect anymore... due to the setuid bit.

I've tried those suggestions before posting to no effect...
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Elmar,

Did you have a specific reason to install the latest patch PHSS_30970 (recommended version is PHSS_30968) ?

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

The 30970 patch was requested by the team who are working on a Java portal problem...
If possible we will try the 30968 to see if the problem with Tivoli is solved, and the Java still works.
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Just to add, this patch broke a few applications for us also. From what I've seen they tend to be fairly old applications (2002-2003). PVCS and I think the same was true with a webserver that is tied to an oracle product. They gave up quickly. The responce for them was to upgrade to a newer supported version before they'll even try to troubleshoot it.

It worked prior. It seems like after this patch, SHLIB_PATH is ignored.