7528 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper

Ravi S. Banda
Regular Advisor

fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper

Hi,
First of all, I am remotely connected to this RedHatEnterprise Linux 5.0 server thru ILO2 connection in Europe. I'm in US.

when the server tries to reboot (I don't know how it went down), it comes with similar messages such as these:
fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper/VolGroup15-Stageing
it comes to "(Repair filesystem)" prompt.
So, I i
ls -l /dev/mapper does NOT show anything that has VolGroup15.
Could you please help!?
Thanks!
Ravi.

23 REPLIES 23
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Could be that the disk devices or LVM structure is damaged. Can you see your disk device files (sd* and/or hd*) inside /dev?
Ravi S. Banda
Regular Advisor

pvs in lvm shows:

/dev/dm-10 VolGroup15
/dev/dm-11 VolGroup10
/dev/dm-12 VolGroup11
/dev/dm-13 VolGroup12
/dev/dm-14 VolGroup13
/dev/dm-15 VolGroup14

it means /dev/dm-10 maps to VolGroup15, correct?
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

By chance do these Filesystems reside on SAN? if so you can try adding the _netdev option to /etc/fstab on the fourth column so it looks like "defaults,_netdev" , make sure the netfs service is set to autostart.

Ravi S. Banda
Regular Advisor

Yes, they do. I will try adding the _netdev option and let you know.

but, could you also please let me know if when I do pvs in lvm, I get
/dev/dm-10 VolGroup15
/dev/dm-11 VolGroup10
/dev/dm-12 VolGroup11
/dev/dm-13 VolGroup12
/dev/dm-14 VolGroup13
/dev/dm-15 VolGroup14

does this mean /dev/... is the mapping to the /dev/mapper address?
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

Ravi:
pvs should list the physical volumes being used by LVM like this:

# pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 vg01 lvm2 a- 60.33G 30.33G
/dev/emcpowera1 vg00 lvm2 a- 33.71G 0
/dev/emcpowerb1 vg00 lvm2 a- 33.71G 7.43G

It will not show the logical device names, you can use the dmsetup program to verify the mappings..

PS: Don't forget to assign points if you found our answers useful
Wilfred Chau_1
Respected Contributor

do you have /dev/mapper/VolGroup15-Stageing in /etc/fstab?

Does vgdisplay VolGroup15 show anything?
or lvdisplay VolGroup15/Stageing?

Could it be a temp lv?
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

In any case, ravi, you should be using /dev/Volgroup15/Staging as the device path in lvm, i recall having problems when using the /dev/mapper device names.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The /dev/dm-* device names are non-persistent device names used by the device-mapper subsystem. Alone, they are rather uninformative: running "dmsetup ls --tree" and comparing the device numbers (major:minor) to disk device nodes in /dev might help in identifying them.

There is a tweak that would make LVM use more informative device names: edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and find the "preferred_names" option. By default the list of preferred device names is empty, but there should be an example configuration line with a comment like "Try to avoid using undescriptive /dev/dm-N names". Comment out the empty default, and uncomment the example line. Then run "vgscan" to refresh the LVM metadata cache. Now run "pvs" again to hopefully get a more informative result.

Looks like the VolGroup15 is not active, yet the system is trying to run fsck on it.

Is this system part of a cluster?
The "_netdev" option tells the system "this filesystem requires network to be operational before it can be activated", which is important if VG activation depends on cluster-wide locks.

Normally the system tries to automatically activate all the VGs it sees, before starting to run file system checks. So something may have caused the activation of VolGroup15 to fail.

You might want to run "vgchange -a y VolGroup15". If the automatic activation failed, this will probably fail too, but it should display a helpful error message in that case. For example, this VG might contain more than one PV.

If the manual VG activation is successful, then I guess your system startup script might just have gone ahead faster than the SAN LUN discovery could complete. If that's the case, inserting a short delay to the FC driver loading procedure might help.

If your server really is RHEL 5.0 (i.e. no updates installed since RHEL 5 original release), then I'd strongly suggest upgrading to RHEL 5.4. There has been several kernel, LVM and dm-multipath updates to improve SAN functionality.

MK
MK
Ravi S. Banda
Regular Advisor

When I do "vgchange -a y VolGroup15", it says, Volume Group "VolGroup15 is exported".

No directory called VolGroup15 under /dev. There is /dev/VolGroup00, though.

Thanks!
Ravi.