1753971 Members
8576 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to change shell within the script

vz7r1x
Regular Advisor

how to change shell within the script

I have an script which starts with #!/bin/sh but my native shell is ksh. So in the script, I say echo $SHELL after /bin/shell line and shell is ksh.

I just want shell changed for this session only. How can I change my sheel from ksh to bsh within the script?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> How can I change my sheel from ksh to bsh within the script?

You don't have to if your script begins with a "she-bang" interpreter line. In HP-uX:

#!/bin/sh

...is equivalent to:

#!/usr/bin/sh

...which is the POSIX shell --- the HP-UX standard. You login shell (as defined in '/etc/passwd') might be the Korn shell ('/usr/bin/ksh') but your script will run as the POSIX shell when your interpreter line reads:

#!/usr/bin/sh

(or)

#/bin/sh

Regards!

...JRF...
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I just want [...]

I don't know what that means. If the script
starts with "#!/bin/sh", then that's what
gets run to interpret the script.

> So in the script, I say echo $SHELL after
> /bin/shell line and shell is ksh.

If that bothers you, then you could set SHELL
to some other value (in your script). I
don't know how that will help you, but you
can do it.

Is there some actual problem which you are
trying to solve?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

EVERY script must start with #! on the first line followed by the interpreter you want to use for your script. These are examples of different interpreters:

#!/usr/bin/sh
#!/usr/bin/ksh
#!/usr/bin/awk
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

and so on. A script is a set of instructions that are designed to be run by a specific program. Whether the program is also your shell or some other program is not important. If you do not have the #! line in your script, then you script will be run by the current shell -- not a good idea at all. Always specify the #! line for every script.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> EVERY script must start with #! [...]

> If you do not have the #! line [...]

Make up your mind. (Or else don't say "must"
when you really mean "should".)
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I say echo $SHELL after /bin/sh line and shell is ksh.

SHELL is set by login(1). And just about the only program that looks at $SHELL is make.
isunrise_1

bsh is posix shell
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> bsh is posix shell

Yes, it has Posix compliance. BUT: In HP-UX, the standard shell in '/usr/bin/sh' and in '/sbin/sh' is called the "Posix" shell. The important part is that while the 'bash' or the 'ksh' or other shell may be declared as a user's default shell, you should NEVER change root's default login shell. For root, only the statically linked '/sbin/sh' will allow you to reboot and startup a system (when '/usr' and the dynamic libraries every other shell needs) isn't mounted.

Regards!

...JRF...
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Actually, Bill, not every script must start with #!.

There's a little trick you can use to get the shell to use a PATH search to find the Perl interpreter for you:

----
:
eval 'exec perl -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
if $running_under_some_shell;

print "Hello world!\n";
----

I use this when some systems have Perl in /usr/local/bin and others have it in /usr/bin, when I haven't gotten around to symlinking.

The colon sends the script to sh, which runs the "eval/exec" line to fire up Perl on the same file, and then Perl ignores that line because "$running_under_some_shell" on the following line is not set, and proceeds down to the rest of the Perl script.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> mvpel: Actually, Bill, not every script must start with #!. There's a little trick you can use to get the shell to use a PATH search to find the Perl interpreter for you:

A less obtuse way is simply:

#!/usr/bin/env perl

(or):

#!/usr/bin/env ksh

In which case we could still say that "every script must start with #!" :-)

Regards!

...JRF...