108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: issue extending /tmp logical volume

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

issue extending /tmp logical volume

I have a hpus 11.23 running HPVM. I was gong to upgrade the patch bundles, so I wanted to increase /tmp, but cannot because it is busy. after doing a "fuser -cu /tmp I noticed the processes that I am not aware of.

root 1424 1 0 Feb 7 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/hp_unixagt
root 1435 1 0 Feb 7 ? 1:26 /usr/sbin/ipv6agt
#ps -ef | grep 1445
root 1445 1 0 Feb 7 ? 1:22 /usr/sbin/mib2agt

I canceled the 3 processes and fuser comand show no more processes, but I still get an error that it is busy. Is booting to single user mode my only option?
Hustle Makes things happen
9 REPLIES 9
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Unless you have Online JFS, that is.

Pete

Pete
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Not sure about 11.23.
But anytime I needed to extend tmp I had to do so in single user mode.

Another thought is to

export TMP=/some/other/path

A path with lots of room temporarly
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi John:

If you have (and you should have) OnlineJFS, then there is (was) no need to unmount '/tmp' to increase its size. Use 'fsadm' to enlarge the filesystem.

Make sure that you aren't 'cd'ed into '/tmp' if it is busy.

That said, the easist way to make sure that there are no processes or open files in a filesystem is to boot *into* single-user mode.

A better tool than 'fuser' is 'lsof' when looking for open files. You could also try, doing:

# fuser -ku /tmp

Regards!

...JRF...
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Thanks for the info. I do not own licensing of online jfs on this machine. My first thought was that it had something to do with hpvm which I know nothing about. I really should have known that it was because I did not have online jfs. Paul, interesting plan. This system is not in production, I am going to try and see if I can export temp. If not, since it is in production, it will not be an issue going into single user mode

Hello John,

you said that you are using HPVM.
just to make it clear for me: are you trying to encrease /tmp on the host OS or inside one of the HP IntegrityVMs?

If you boot your Host OS into single user mode, of course all the HP VMs will be shut down.

Reagrds,
Carsten
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

I only have one windows hpvm right now, but I shut it down. Any good books on hpvm that you know of would really help me out.

#hpvmstatus
[Virtual Machines]
Virtual Machine Name VM # OS Type State #VCPUs #Devs #Nets Memory Runsysid
==================== ===== ======= ========= ====== ===== ===== ======= ========
stage 1 WINDOWS Off 2 2 1 8 GB 0

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

As mentioned if you do not have onlineJFS then you must be in single usermod to modify the size of /tmp.

To save yourself time and effort why not simply create another filesystem large enough filesystem for your software temp space ?

>>Any good books on IVM ?
http://docs.hp.com/en/vse.html#HP%20Integrity%20Virtual%20Machines

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

fuser is notoriously incomplete in finding all the possible uses of a mount point. Try:

fuser /dev/vg00/lvolXX
fuser /dev/vg00/rlvolXX

This may find a few more processes.

But the only definitive way to locate all the open files is to download lsof. This program will find all the processes that keep a mount point busy. Note that /tmp is a very busy location - you may need to be careful about randomly killing any process using /tmp.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin