3448 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: kcmond consumptiontion most CPU utilization

Steven_Chen
Occasional Advisor

kcmond consumptiontion most CPU utilization

Dear experts,
due kcmond ate most CPU utilization on production server, I needs assistance to solve this issue, so I view a lot of thread and found that have core OS patch to fix this issue, maybe apply core patch can solve this problem permanently.

but I have a question for kcmond is:
kcmond monitor system tunable resource.
kcalarm are another one relate binary to set alarm.
when I turn alarm off by using
"kcalarm -m off"
kcmond will reduce it CPU utilization immediately and not climb to top 20 anymore.
after check the alarm setting by execute:
"kcalarm -l", no any tunable resource alarm are not defined. so can I just simply turn off kcalarm by "kcalarm -m off" to solve kcmond consumption high CPU issue? or turn the alarm off have any risk even have no any alarm defined?
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

"...when I turn alarm off by using
"kcalarm -m off"
kcmond will reduce it CPU utilization immediately and not climb to top 20 anymore...."

This is what's known as a 'work-around'. A highly prized procedure that many, many managers love.

Bragging about it and using it will probably bring acclaim and honors from managers about your brilliance.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi steven,

I totally agree with michael that it is a "workaround" and could be a clever one but considering the point of "eating your CPU" is concerned and taking into account the importance of that particular alarm, could not be the way out of the "troubleshooting loop".

As kcmond is typically related to kcusage and in terms of threshold kcalarm could well be the cause of high CPU utilization. Well the effectiveness of your "workaround" depends on how *important* is that alarm. Hope this helps.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Steven_Chen
Occasional Advisor

Thanks both.

I knew that action for this issue is just a "work-around", but what I want to clarify is:

"Did it have any impact for system if I turn off it?"

because in my previous description, no any alarm threshold been set in kcalarm, but kcalarm alarm is on, seems this alarm is not defined properly and useless?
if I turn it off, will impact any EMS or relate OS function?

PS. point are submitted.