1756992 Members
2225 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lsof Install error

MikeL_4
Super Advisor

lsof Install error

I installed lsof 4.77 with all required run time dependencies and received following error on install:
* Installing fileset "lsof.lsof-RUN,r=4.77" (1 of 1).
ERROR: Unknown owner and/or group for file "/usr/local/bin/lsof".
SUID and/or SGID bit was not set.
ERROR: Failed installing fileset "lsof.lsof-RUN,r=4.77". Check the
above output for details.

ERROR: Corrupt lsof.lsof-RUN,r=4.77
ERROR: 1 of 1 filesets had Errors.
ERROR: The Execution Phase had errors. See the above output for
details.

ls -al /usr/local/bin/lsof
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 118784 Apr 21 13:11 /usr/local/bin/lsof

How can this be corrected ?
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is a known problem due to the way lsof was packaged and a change with suid/guid in a POSIX environment. From the lsof FAQ:

The swpackage SUID/SGID functionality was restricted by changes
for POSIX compliance, breaking backward compatibility. The
patch PHCO_27671 allows SUID/SGID for uid/gid of 0 only, as a
compromise between backward compatibility and POSIX conformance. If the setuid bit is to be set on the executable, the UID and
GID of the executable must be 0 (zero). (from: http://www.math.temple.edu/doc/packages/lsof/FAQ )

I seem to remember that you could edit one of the config files inside the the depot (like INDEX or INFO) to change the owner and group -- it was set to root and needed to be set to 0) -- something like that. I tried a download from the Liverpool porting centre and it installed fine on an 11.11 system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
MikeL_4
Super Advisor

I installed on an 11.11 server also from the Utah Porting site: http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/

Could you provide the site you downloaded from and I could try installing with there site depot..
carsonsui
Occasional Advisor

I installed lsof 4.77 on my 11.23 HP-UX box, and I got the same error message. When I used the "lsof" command, it seemed workable. Should I install the patch PHCO_27671 to fix this error? I try to download the patch, but it seems for 11.11.
MikeL_4
Super Advisor

Carson, I sent a note to the site explaining the error and they corrected the depot for 11.11 and put a new one out on the site. You may want to download the 11.23 version again and see if it is corrected. Otherwise I would send a note to them explaining the error to make the corrections to the depot.