Re: recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Hi Again,

Shell> map -r -fs -b

Suppose you find fs1 (this might be your secondary disk).
Shell>fs1:
fs1:> dir
fs1:> ls
You should see "EFI"
fs1:> cd efi
fs1\efi> dir
You should see "HPUX.EFI"

Now, to boot from this disk:
fs1\efi> hpux.efi

So, if you find hpux.efi, that means this is a boot disk.
Don't fix what ain't broke
himacs
Super Advisor

HI All,

Wish me luck .. m going to do it today

Regards
himacs
Prasanth Thomas
Valued Contributor

HI Himacs,

I think this server is lan boot supported and for more conformation please send me the o/p of
1. #ioscan -fnC lan
2. #lanscan

Regards,
Prasanth Thomas.
johnsonpk
Honored Contributor

>>>i am planning to follow below steps.

1.Remove sec disk while server is up ###(Are yo sure that ur sec disk is bootable)
2.reboot the server
3.apply patch
4.reboot the server with pri disk
5.If server is not coming up,shutdown the server ,inert sec disk and boot with sec ###( what if the sec hdd is also not bootable ?have you checked the sec hdd by booting server from that hdd ?)
6.If everything is fine with primary,insert sec disk later
7.And pri will syc with sec automatically,so all the changes done in pri will apply in sec.

I would follow the below steps

1) Check the vg is in sync or not
#vgsync vg00
2)verify quarum disabled
# efi_cp -d /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s1 -u /EFI/HPUX/AUTO . ;cat AUTO (check it for both disk in vg00)
it should be " boot vmunix -lq "
3) check from which disk the server is booted currently ( you check in syslog )
4)shutdown server and remove the disk that you got from step 3 (the disk from whcih server booted succesfully last time)
5)boot server,Apply patch and reboot
6)if everything is fine insert the other disk ,ioscan ,insf-eC disk, vgchange -a y vg00, vgsync vg00,

johnsonpk
Honored Contributor

Johnson>> You need to properly remove "Secndory Disk" information from the OS level" by "lvextend -m 0" and vgreduce I believe later you cannot put back the disk,

Johnson will it be same as running vg00 without mirror, what will happen if the current disk /os is corrupted ?? you will end up having one corrupted os disk and a free disk :-(
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Well, I agree.

Using lvreduce will remove mirror from sec disk and we will be left with only primary disk which is to be patched and no backup.

Another thing, if the server has not been reboot for a long time, reboot it first and then proceed with patching. You should be sure that these disks are capable of booting the server, in case you need to use them later on.
Don't fix what ain't broke
madhuchakkaravarthy
Trusted Contributor

Hi

post the output of

ioscan -fnC disk
ioscan -fnC lan..

regards

MC