Re: root password issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

root password issue

Hey gurus,

I've got a very strange problem.

1. I changed the password of root user after doing a su from user x to root . The password was abc@root .

2. After This it doesnt allow me direct login or su to root any normal user except that user x from where i changed the password. ( I am sure direct root login is not disabled and su is not prohibited)

3. Strange thing is when i changed the password again to something like root123 , it started working fine . Direct root login is happening and su from other usres are also happening.

This is quite strange isnt it?

If the @ character in the password is the problem then it should not have allowed a su from only user x.

Any idea what could be the magic behind that.

Thanks,
Siva
10 REPLIES 10
Juan M Leon
Trusted Contributor

1. I changed the password of root user after doing a su from user x to root . The password was abc@root .

I used the @ sign befor and I never had problems.

2. After This it doesnt allow me direct login or su to root any normal user except that user x from where i changed the password. ( I am sure direct root login is not disabled and su is not prohibited)
Do you get any entry in the syslog?
Are you unable to use root password from the console?

What unix version are you running.
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hello Siva,
the @ symbol is a special symbol that is interpreted as: IGNORE anything prior.
Therefore, abc@root yields root as the password.
It is very handy when typing your login or password and make a mistake to type in @, then the correct login or password, since the backspace key adds characters.
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Have a look at the WARNINGS section of the passwd(1) man page (man 1 passwd).

The relevant part is excerpted here:

WARNINGS
Avoid password characters which have special meaning to the tty driver, such as # (erase) and @ (kill). You may not be able to login with these characters.
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

Juan,

I'm using HPUX 11.11 and there is no entry in the syslog . I didnt try that from Console either .

Tommy,

Thats my learning for the day.. Yes i've tried that now and @ ignores the characters before .. Can escape from getting a new login prompt again if i type the wrong password.

But that hasnt answered all my questions.

If that is the case how come it allowed su from the user x alone to root

Thanks,
Siva
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

I started to add, that in AIX, a backspace does work to allow correcting an error in the password. I have not tried an @ in the password under AIX. The @ symbol restriction may be an HPUX implementation. I believe it originated in the old Teletype-Console days, when there was no backspace. An @ told the system to ignore any thing prior.
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Does the user x have a customized .profile or any other login script?

Run "stty -a" as user x and as some other (non-root) user. Compare the results. Pay attention to the "kill = " setting.

If the stty settings are not properly set up, the system will use kernel-level defaults... which are designed for some very old terminals. The "@" character is the kernel-level default "kill" (=delete-line) character.

This is known to happen with some ssh.com commercial SSH product versions: the old versions 3.2.* certainly had this bug.

MK
MK
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

See the Warnings section of "man passwd":

Avoid password characters which have special meaning to the tty driver, such as # (erase) and @ (kill). You may not be able to login with these characters.

The "@" in the password is your problem.

Pete

Pete
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is a classic problem with HP-UX. The default settings for the terminal driver is @=delete-line and #=backspace. You have probably noticed that the backspace doesn't seem to work at login. Every HP-UX system since the 1980's has used these default. The reason is historic as these characters were used with hardcopy terminals. Today, they get in the way and your /etc/profile (unless modified) has two stty statements that set the 'normal' characters for delete-line and backspace. However, /etc/profile does not run until after you login so it does not affect the login and passwd programs.

If you are running 10.20 or any version of 11.xx you can fix this using the new ttyconf device file. Do this once while you are running:

stty erase "^H" kill "^U" < /dev/ttyconf

and now backspace will work for login, and @ can be used in a password. To make this permanent, include this line in one of your customized startup scripts.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

As mentioned, @ is the default line kill char.
If you really really want it, you can escape it with "\".

Or do what Bill mentions.
Here is the last thread on this issue, with a picture of a TTY:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1136252