1752591 Members
2763 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

script to determine internal vs external disks

Penni Nussbaum
Frequent Advisor

script to determine internal vs external disks

I am in the process of writing a "collection" script to be run on all of our HP servers. It was asked that I specify which disks are internal and which disks are external. However, since this script will be run on many different model servers, I don't see how this is possible without keeping a hardcoded table listing each type of server and the address for the internal disks. Does this sound correct?
3 REPLIES 3
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: script to determine internal vs external disks

Hi

I think you are right. What you can get is which SCSI-bus a disk is is connectet to but not automatic if this is a internal or external bus. In some cases it is also possible external and internal diska share the same bus.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Yes, youre out of luck. Even a full ioscan | grep ext_bus shows both internal and external controllers for varoius models. You are going to have to keep a master list of which paths for which server types for internal/external.

Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hi Penni,

as Leif wrote you could look after the bus to possibly decide whether the disks are internal.
Though it may give a propper indication I think it's not ultimately reliable.
Nor would be this method, I use because it works for most of our big application and db servers that are connected to disk storage systems.
I look at the description field of the ioscan command to parse the vendor (which in our case would either be EMC or HITACHI OPEN-*)

This will show you the specified field:

ioscan -kFCdisk|awk -F: '{print $(NF-1)}'
Madness, thy name is system administration