sendmail problem

rajesh73
Super Advisor

sendmail problem

i have installed new RHEL 5 server

we facing below mentioned error

[root@workstation1 mqueue]# ps -ef |grep sendmail
root 10516 1 0 15:20 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: accepting connections
smmsp 10526 1 0 15:20 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: Queue runner@01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
root 10621 10543 0 16:50 pts/1 00:00:00 grep sendmail

question:

mail is not delivered it will goes to mailq

please advice how to solve this issue.

Regards,
Dhinakaran.B
3 REPLIES 3
Wilfred Chau_1
Respected Contributor

Re: sendmail problem

do you have port 25 blocked by iptables?
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Read the mail log file (usually /var/log/mail.log or something similar). It will tell what happened when sendmail tried to deliver mails.

- was it able to find the IP address of the correct mail server? (Check /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf)

- was it able to connect to that mail server? (Iptables? Other firewall issues? Some other network connectivity problem?)

- did the other mail server reject the mail?
(Is the recipient's inbox too full? What error message or error code did the other server send?)

Is your server supposed to be able to send mail directly to any mail server on the Internet, or should you send all outgoing mail to one particular mail server (e.g. your company's main mail server, or your Internet Service Provider's mail server)? If it's the latter, you must have added the server's name to sendmail's configuration. This type of configuration is called a "smarthost" configuration.

Run this command to see if a smarthost is properly configured:
grep ^DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

If it outputs nothing or just "DS", there is no smarthost configured. If it outputs e.g. "DSsome.server.com" then sendmail is configured to send all outgoing mail to some.server.com.

MK
MK
rajesh73
Super Advisor

Hi,

thanks,now the problem is sold.

i copied the original file in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
then once again i restart the sendmail service after that we can able to get the mails

thanks