108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

sudo privileges for user id management.

GnanaShekar
Regular Advisor

sudo privileges for user id management.

Hi,

We have a mixed unix environment here.
We have Solaris, Linux, AIX & HP-UNIX servers. All of them make a total of around 2000 servers. The dev & test servers are in NIS domain. The production boxes are not in NIS domain.

We want the unix id creation (both NIS and local) to be taken care of L1 support.

We have give sudo privileges for a NIS Id creation script on NIS server.

Was wondering how to get this done on the server that are not part of NIS domain.

My immedite thought is to start installing sudo package on Solaris, Linux, AIX & HP-UNIX servers on an as needed basis going forward and edit the /etc/sudoers accordingly.

Please suggest.
3 REPLIES 3
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Re: sudo privileges for user id management.

i would recommend a main/infrastrature server each for all UNIX versions and a script can be run from that main host which can do the account managament remotely.
GnanaShekar
Regular Advisor

Hi,

We have a trusted host.

Can we have something like this:
1. From this trusted host when the script is run, it will find out if the remote server is part of NIS.
2. If it is part of NIS, It will exit, otherwise it will gather all details from the user and run the useradd command on the remote machine.

I am wondering how a user on the system executing the script run the useradd command on the remote system... How can he become privileged user on the remote server to add users?

Please suggest.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

" am wondering how a user on the system executing the script run the useradd command on the remote system... How can he become privileged user on the remote server to add users?"

did u try this for test? A trusted system can do much more than this

We keep a main server each for HP-UX and Linux and mainatain a all.hosts file . The script refers the each host in the list and does the operation/script mentioned.