Operating System - HP-UX
1748210 Members
2813 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tar command: end of tape, to continue enter device/file name when ready or null string to quit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manuales
Super Advisor

Re: tar command: end of tape, to continue enter device/file name when ready or null string to quit

hi.. thanks ...

I execute command indicated but for hfs filesystem it has an error with the command:

s1:/->fsadm -F vxfs /usr/sapito/transpaso
vxfs fsadm: mountpoint /usr/sapito/transpaso is not a vxfs file system
s1:/->fsadm -F hfs /usr/sapito/transpaso
fsadm: /usr/sapito/transpaso is not a valid operand

why?
OS is hp-ux 10.20

i don't remember in this moment, where do you see type of file system? i remember is a file under /etc folder but i don't remember name ..

thanks.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Try "fsadm /usr/sapito/transpaso" or "fsadm -F hfs /usr/sapito/transpaso"

Pete

Pete
Manuales
Super Advisor

fsadm /usr/sapito/transpaso
fsadm: /etc/default/fs is used for determining the file system type

fsadm -F hfs /usr/sapito/transpaso

nop ...
it could be a patch?

where is file where is assigend type of file system?

Thanks.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Manuales:

If its a HFS filesystem, do:

# fsadm -F hfs /dev/vgNN/lvolX

where the device file can be deduced from a 'bdf' listing.

Regards!

...JRF...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You can check your /etc/fstab file to see what type of file system it is. It will be listed (hfs, vxfs, nfs) on the line for the appropriate mount point.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

One other potential issue. Tar used to be limited to 2GB output. Patcher PHCO_29229 (HP-UX 11.0) or PHCO_26423 (11.11) raised that limit to 8GB. Check to see if you are current on your patches.

Also, pax and fbackup/frecover support 8GB files as well.....
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

No, No, No.... That statement is incorrect.

Tar has NEVER been limited to the size of the tar file it could CREATE. Otherwise, how would you back up to tapes holding 10 or 20GB?

The tar limit has always been with the MAXIMUM SIZE OF A SINGLE FILE that it could back up. The tar on HP-UX 10.20 can NOT back up files larger than 2GB.

It **CAN** create a tar ARCHIVE that is larger than 2GB though.

More recent versions of HP-UX have patches that allow you to archive files up to 8GB.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You stated earlier that the filesystem you are trying to back up into is "IT IS ONLY IN USED 35% " and I'm still wondering 35% of how much.
Could you please post the output of the "bdf -l"?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete
Howard Marshall
Regular Advisor

If its not too much trouble could you post a few more bits of info.

Which user is running the command?
Do you have some sort of disk quota enabled?
Run the du -k command to see how much data you are trying to back up.
What is the output of the bdf command for the file system?

It sounds to me like tar has reached some sort of file size limit and can't go any further until it has another file name to dump the rest of the data into. This is an unusual occurrence so we will need a little more info to be of much help.

H