New Discussion

/tcb, passwd/group file(s) related question

SOLVED
Go to solution
john guardian
Super Advisor

/tcb, passwd/group file(s) related question

The system is 11.23 and Trusted

Is there any means (ie: modprpw/pwck, grpck etc) other than shell script to check/verify that all GIDs in the passwd file also exist in the group file?

One of the admins found a GID in a passwd file that did not exist in the /etc/group file. This system was upgraded from 11.0 to 11i-v1 then v2. Users and groups have come and gone. The system has to my knowledge always used a Trusted env.

2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: /tcb, passwd/group file(s) related question

Hi John:

I'm surprised that neither 'pwck' nor 'grpck' don't discover inconsistences.  If not, a simply script to read the GID from '/etc/passwd' and query '/etc/group' would suffice.

Since your system is trusted, I would also run 'authck -p' (or 'pwck -s' which will do that for you).

Regards!

...JRF...

john guardian
Super Advisor

Re: /tcb, passwd/group file(s) related question

According to what the admin told me, he manually deleted a group from the /etc/group file to test. No error/missing entries info was returned.

I emailed him a simple script to capture the group fields of /etc/passwd and grep/uniq/compare to the group file, which worked. I thought I remembered the pw/grp-ck cmds working, but for his case, they didn't.

Thx!