New Discussion юеВ

Re: /var/adm/messages size

SOLVED
Go to solution
hareesh
Advisor

/var/adm/messages size

Hi,
Whatshould be the size limits for a "/var/adm/messages" file,I have a tru64 5.1 DS20e server which is having /var/adm/messages file size of 150mb.Will it afffect any system performance if i create a empt "messages" file??

KH
5 REPLIES 5
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

limit is filesystem limit ;-)

no it will not affect the performance (maybe only for seeking to end of file).

Please use the command

# cp /dev/null /var/adm/messages

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Abdul Rahiman
Esteemed Contributor

You may want to consider using a utility like "logrotate",which is available forLinux and some other unix flavours. This way you can preserve old versions of the /var/adm/messages file for a certain period of time that would be critical to diagnose errors happened in the past.

You might as well write a simple shell script to do the same and run via cron on a regular basis. Again consider avilable free space on /var filesystem before implementing these scripts. Peroformance won't be impacted.

Abdul Rahiman.
No unix, no fun
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

why not simply use a crontab entry? You don't need special application for that so lowering administration...
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

It will not affect anything if you deleted it. However, I recommend to keep a copy just for reference if you needed to go through logs of old reboots

Mohamed
Tom Lahey

Hi,
I guess you should do a good housekeeping for system logs, incl:
/var/adm/messages, /var/adm/binary.errlog

On certain ocassion the java's desta process uses 100% of CPU when the binary.errlog is huge.

Regards,
Tom