1752815 Members
6047 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Integrity Virtualization, Configuration question

StevieD
Occasional Contributor

Integrity Virtualization, Configuration question

We have a need to run the following OS's on the Integrity platform and we want to use virtulization for this, but I'm running into OS's no longer supported or just being supported in the latest version(s).

HP-UX 11V3i

HP-UX 11V2i

OpenVMS 8.3 (it looks like only 8.4 is supported)

RHEL 4  and maybe later versions

Suse 9SP4 (looks like Suse 10SP2 and above is only supported)

Windows 2008

The solution we have come up with is I have installed the latest HPVM software Version B.06.30.00 on HP-UX 11.31, this allows me to run HP-UX VM's and I'm assuming it will allow me to run the OpenVMS 8.4 from what I read.  I then created a VPAR with HP-UX 11.31 and installed the last version of HPVM that supported Linux, B.04.20.05. I successfully installed RHEL 4.8 but had issues with getting it on the network.  I resolved that by changing the network device attached to the VPAR from AVIO to a DIO device and on the VPAR creating a VSWITCH that used that LAN device. The one problem I can't resolve is getting the Integrity Virtual Manager to connect to the VPAR, but I don't need the GUI and I don't think that will ever connect anyways. 

My questions are, is this the best configuration to use in this scenario? Should I just use seperate physical servers to run the different versions of HPVM? Is there a way to use DIO for storage and network that would allow me to run Linux and Windows under the latest version of HPVM? 

Thanks,

Steve