1757083 Members
1801 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 1920 Link Aggregation trunk hash policy

Michael Pope_1
Visitor

HP 1920 Link Aggregation trunk hash policy

I'm configuring a bonded interface on my HP 1920 48port JG928A and I have it working, but would like to change the way it does the load balancing.

On my server (Debian 8 Jessie) I have setup both of my NICs in a bond and set the xmit_hash_policy to layer2+3 which means it should take into account the MAC and IP address when working out the hash to determine which packet goes on which ethernet device. This is not working. I can see that it's correctly set on the Debian box and I cannot find where in the HP 1920 this setting is kept.

Here is my Aggregation on the HP 1920;

interface Bridge-Aggregation1

link-aggregation mode dynamic

port link-type trunk

port trunk permit vlan 1

Does the HP 1920 allow you to change the hash policy ?

What option do I put in here to set the hash prolicy to layer2+3 which will match the settings I have in debian as described in https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt under xmit_hash_policy?

UPDATE

I looks like HP call the feature trunk-load-balance and it's settings are L2, L3 or L4. Is this feature available on the HP 1920?

http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/RA/15-18/5998-8161_ra_2620_mcg/content/ch04s11.html

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Your reference about LACP hashing algorithm is related to HP/HPE ProVision and HPE Aruba ArubaOS-Switch operating system based switch series.

HPE 1920 Switch series is Comware 5 operating system based Web Managed (with "hidden" CLI) so if it is not UI exposed you would try the CLI way to manage that parameter...totally possible it is already L3 with L2 as fallback.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Michael Pope_1
Visitor

To add it to the switch through the CLI would I add this to the startup.cfg, save it and restart?

Would it be the same line as the other switches?

trunk-load-balance L3-based

What happens to the switch if it finds an error in the startup.cfg? Will it revert to the backup and still load or will it crash and brick the device?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Personally I would go down the safer route: try first to enter the hidden extended CLI via the _cmdline_mode on procedure and look for any possible lacp/link-aggregation related command, if any.

The trunk-load-balance L3-based is a typical command provided by HPE ProVision operating system based switches, not found on Comware 5/7.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JO4
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Did you find a way to change the hash policy ?

JO4
Occasional Contributor

You can change the mode to "destination-ip" and/or "source-ip". You must connect to the hidden CLI and use the command "link-aggregation load-sharing mode destination-ip source-ip" (to show the current configuration value : "display link-aggregation load-sharing mode ").