5664 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AlphaServer (AS) 8200: Problem with adding disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christian Wessely

AlphaServer (AS) 8200: Problem with adding disks

I am not sure this is the right place to ask, but I did not find a better one ... so:

The AS 8200 has optional internal HDs - up to four on the back and one on the front side, just beside the TLSB Cage.

I received the system with one HD in the uppermost slot on the backside and the CDR. They are connected to ISP3 and show up if I issue a show dev at the SRM prompt like that:

pkd.7.0.5.0 (the termination I suppose)
dkd0.0.0.5.0 (the RZ28 HD)
dkd400.4.0.5.0 (the CDR)

Now I supposed that if I inserted other RZ28 HDs in the remaining free slots they should show up like that:
dkd1.1.0.5.0
or something like that. But they dont; in fact, the do not show up at all.

Installing Tru64 5.1b was a breeze, and the system works perfectly - but I would really prefer to have a backup for my bootdisk (I planned to do a dd once the other identical disks are recognized).

Any hint would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Christian Wessely

Addendum:

If I draw dkd0 from slot 0 and put it into slot 1 it shows up correctly as dkd0.1.0.5.0

So it seems it is a disk problem; it reminds me on the behaviour of a raidcontroller like the DAC 960 who also cannot "see" harddisks that are not defined as "units" yet. Problem is - since the ISP3 is a scsi channel of the KFTIA - how do I tell it that this disk is a "unit" and should be visible...? Hm.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Christian,
did you change SCSI address of your HD. I see you have 1.st disk with address 0 and CD as address 4. Usually, other HD are set with 1..3 address, while tape are set with 5 or 6.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Christian Wessely

thanks for the hint.
Since this is the "old" Dec Drawer system (the HDs are mounted in the plastic carriers and you simply cannot change their address) I suppose the SCSI ID should be determined by the position of the disk in the shelf (else it would not know that I put it into the other slot) ... So I do not think that this is the reason. But THANK you anyway for trying!

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Christian,
here there a AS8200 configuration page
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/options/as8200/as8200_15_options_sorted.html#OptListHead

HTH
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Christian Wessely

I am a Jackass - thanks a lot. The Error was so obvious that I was blind for it. Of course the 8200 supports internal only RZ28-VA (not VW).

Problem solved :o)

hope I can pay back sometime :o)
Thank you!