108957 Solutions
New Discussion

Predictive failure on HPE CONVERGED SYSTEM 250

SOLVED
Go to solution
renegade7
Advisor

Predictive failure on HPE CONVERGED SYSTEM 250

Hi I have a HPE CONVERGED SYSTEM 250 with 4 nodes and on one of these I have a disk in predictive failure which is part of a raid 5. I wanted to know if there is a particular procedure to replace it or I can directly remove it hot (it's a hot swap ) and replace it. thank you all

Physical Drive in Port 1I Box 4 Bay 4

Status  Degraded (Predictive failure) Serial Number **confidential info erased** Model EG1200JETKC Media Type HDD Capacity 1200 GB Location Port 1I Box 4 Bay 4 Firmware Version HPD2
Drive Configuration Configured
Encryption Status Not Encrypted
7 REPLIES 7
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Predictive failure on HPE CONVERGED SYSTEM 250

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant Servers - POST Error Messages and Beep Codes

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

renegade7
Advisor

Rif.: Query: Predictive failure on HPE CONVERGED SYSTEM 250

No error post, ring led is operative and blink led amber and yellow alternative

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@renegade7 

It is recommended to follow a specific procedure when replacing a disk in a RAID array to ensure data integrity and minimize the conflict of data erasing. Here are the general steps you should follow:

1. Identify the failed disk by reviewing the RAID controller logs or management interface. In your case, it appears that the failed disk is in Port 1I Box 4 Bay 4.

2. Verify that you have a replacement disk that is compatible with your system and matches the capacity and speed of the other disks in the RAID array.

3. Before removing the failed disk, make sure that you have a valid backup of all necessary data on the array.

4. If possible, gracefully shut down any applications or services that are accessing the array to minimize the conflict of data corruption during the replacement process.

5. If your system supports hot swapping, you can remove the failed disk while the system is still running. However, it is generally recommended to shut down the system before replacing the disk to reduce data erasing or corruption.

6. Install the replacement disk in the same slot as the failed disk.

7. If the RAID array does not automatically start the rebuild process, you will need to manually initiate the rebuild process using the RAID controller's management interface.

8. Monitor the rebuild progress and make sure that there are no errors or issues during the process.

9. Once the rebuild is complete, verify that the array is functioning correctly and that all data is accessible.

It is important to note that RAID 5 has a conflict of data erasing if another disk fails during the rebuild process, so it is recommended to have a backup strategy in place to minimize the data corruption.

Note: Am not an expert, found this info thought this will help you. Please do take all data back-up before you perform any instructions. 

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
renegade7
Advisor

I thank you all the same but I knew everything you wrote to me. my request was specific on the disk in predictive failure (disk that is working but is about to fail) if it was possible to hot swap it or do some specifc step.

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Re: Rif.: Query: Predictive failure on HPE CONVERGED SYSTEM 250

Greetings!

Ideally, we can replace the predictive failure drive with another healthy drive and it should start the rebuild process. 

What is the RAID level?
Also ensure there is no other failed/defective drive in the same RAID. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
renegade7
Advisor

Thanks for your answer, raid level is 5 with 4 disk. only one disk is in predictive failure other disk are in optimal status. please read my initial post. Thanks

BPSingh
HPE Pro
Solution

Greetings!

RAID 5 has fault tolerance of one drive. 
You can go ahead and replace the drive with predictive failure error. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo