108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Powershell - New-NSVolume does not work

SOLVED
Go to solution
jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

What version of powershell are you using? and is it 32 or 64 bit?

brichardson15
Occasional Advisor

64bit 4.0

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

hmm make sure the DLL is unblocked, nothing else comes to mind. if it was an older version of PS (1 or 2) or 32bit i could see it being a problem, but you should be good..

brichardson15
Occasional Advisor

And....it started working.

Thanks for humoring me...

Terry Zolinski
Advisor

I'm using Powershell 4.0, Nimble Module v2, Nimble Version 2.2.5.0-197583-opt and am trying to clone a snapshot from a replica volume.

I upgraded to v2 per above, but I'm getting Error Creating Volume NIMBLE-SERVER-D-NAME! code: SMeinval.

After going through variations of inputs on New-NSClone, changing the length of the names, using different names, etc. I cannot get this to work unless I use the same name for the Snapshot and Clone volume.

New-NSClone -Name test -Volume NIMBLE-SERVER-D-NAME -Snap test

New-NSClone -Name BilboBaggins -Volume NIMBLE-SERVER-D-NAME -Snap BilboBaggins

New-NSClone -Name Bilbo-Baggins -Volume NIMBLE-SERVER-D-NAME -Snap Bilbo-Baggins

What doesn't work is any variation using the actual clone name I want and any of the snapshots created by the Nimble.

New-NSClone -Name NIMBLE-SERVER-D-NAME-RECENTMONTHLY -Volume NIMBLE-SERVER-D-NAME - Snap FileServerVCenter-DAILY-2015-04-30::01:00:00.000

New-NSClone -Name BilboBaggins2 -Volume NIMBLE-SERVER-D-NAME -Snap Bilbo-Baggins

To me it seems as though the clone name must match the snapshot name, otherwise you get SMeinval. I've also noticed you can't use a colon in the volume name. So, if you use a time stamp in your snapshot using the Nimble naming convention, you can't create a volume with the same name as the snapshot.

This isn't ideal for my scenario, since there is no relation between the time stamped snapshot name and the scheme I want to use of VOLUMENAME-RECENTMONTHLY for the clone name.

Thanks in advance, Terry

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

yeah so try doing Get-NSSnapshot, see how it returns the names, also you might want to quote it because : is in many cases special.

also, you can pipe the snapshot to the new-nsclone (i think, if i recall right)

Terry Zolinski
Advisor

Let me clarify, I do not want my volume to have the same name as the snapshot. I was just listing this as an example.

No matter what I do, unless the snapshot has the same name as the clone I am creating, this doesn't work.

This example works:

New-NSClone -Name test -Volume NIMBLEVOL -Snap test

This example does not work:

New-NSClone -Name test2 -Volume NIMBLEVOL -Snap test

Whether it's a volume or a volume replica, this only works when I use the same name for the clone as I do the snapshot.

Also, you can't create a volume with a : via the GUI, must be an illegal character.

Terry Zolinski
Advisor

OK, to fix this I had to completely blow away all of the Nimble powershell files, copy them again, then run install.ps1.

I guess it was holding onto some old dlls or something.

Terry Zolinski
Advisor

Nope, it's not fixed. Here is my actual code:

PS C:\Users\terry> $vol = "terrytest"

PS C:\Users\terry> $cloneVol = Get-NSVolume -Name $vol

PS C:\Users\terry> $strClonevol = $vol + "-RECENTMONTHLY"

PS C:\Users\terry> $snap = Get-NSSnapShot | where {($_.name -match "test")}

PS C:\Users\terry> New-NSClone -Name $strClonevol -Volume $cloneVol -Snap $snap

New-NSClone : Error Creating volume terrytest-RECENTMONTHLY! code: SMeinval

At line:1 char:1

+ New-NSClone -Name $strClonevol -Volume $cloneVol -Snap $snap

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-NSClone

So now I try just putting a string for the name of the volume:

PS C:\Users\terry> New-NSClone -Name test2 -Volume $cloneVol -Snap $snap

New-NSClone : Error Creating volume test2! code: SMeinval

+ New-NSClone -Name test2 -Volume $cloneVol -Snap $snap

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-NSClone

Now I change the snap to use a string:

PS C:\Users\terry> New-NSClone -Name test2 -Volume $cloneVol -Snap test

+ New-NSClone -Name test2 -Volume $cloneVol -Snap test

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I am using strings to identify everything:

PS C:\Users\terry> New-NSClone -Name test2 -Volume terrytest -Snap test

+ New-NSClone -Name test2 -Volume terrytest -Snap test

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quoted:

PS C:\Users\terry> New-NSClone -Name "test2" -Volume "terrytest" -Snap "test"

+ New-NSClone -Name "test2" -Volume "terrytest" -Snap "test"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using the same name for the new clone as the snapshot:

PS C:\Users\terry> New-NSClone -Name "test" -Volume "terrytest" -Snap "test"

Name Online ReadOnly MultiInit Clone PerfPolicy Size(GB) Compressed(GB) Uncompressed(GB) Ratio Connections

---- ------ -------- --------- ----- ---------- -------- -------------- ---------------- ----- -----------

test True   False    False     True  default           1              0                0                 0

I am connected to a different array when I ran the above. It's at version 2.1.7.0-151109-opt

Terry Zolinski
Advisor

Further to my previous, initially this is the code I tried to get working, which also failed.

$vol = terrytest

$cloneVol = Get-NSVolume -Name $vol

$strClonevol = $vol + "-RECENTMONTHLY"

$snap = Get-NSSnapShot | where {($_.Volume -eq $vol) -and ($_.LocalCreationTime.Day -eq "1") -and ($_.localCreationTime.Month -like $today.Month) -and ($_.localCreationTime.Year -like $today.year)} | select -first 1

New-NSClone -Name $strClonevol -Volume $cloneVol -Snap $snap

Thanks